The hierarchy of modulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hierarchy of modulation

So, what do you consider the "food chain" of least to most extreme modulation effects? from least to most, for me

#1 Tremolo - only volume, even though it can be on/off chop and very fast
    #2 Vibrato - only smallish pitch change
    #3 Chorus - pretty mild in the grand scheme
    #4 Phaser - while it could me a super mild 2 stage, 4 is common, and almost always super-obvious
    #5 Flange - Phase + delay = Flange, the most extreme of modulations, or the one the most capable of extremities

What say you? This is an "Average to me - obvious there are super subtle and super Wilde ranges of each.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

In order that I reach for them:

0 - Univibe
    1 - Phaser
    2 - Tremolo
    3 - Flanger
    4 - Vibrato
    5 - Chorus

Univibe is the effect that most enhances guitar tone rather than sitting on top of it like the others . . . deep, liquidy, throbbing, but easy to get sounding tasteful. Phasing sounds like a little more powerful and slightly different univibe. Tremolo is surprisingly useful in a variety of ways - from 1950s sounds to helicopter chops. Flanger and I have been warming up to each other since I discovered the analog version. Vibrato I find tricky to use tastefully, and can get pretty seasick sounding. Chorus is like a crappy flanging that usually sounds like a mediocre 80s hard rock makeup/wig band.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Would a whammy pedal be considered a form of modulation?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

I'd say, absolutely. you are modulating the pitch to a high degree.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I honestly have never though about this.

Chorus is used for an 80s lead guitar sound, or with rate equal zero and mild mix to create stereo sound.

Flanger can be used subtly to tweak the tone (but with level low enough that it does not sound like a flanger.)

Phaser is a cool special effect. I don't use the other ones.

Comment

I usually take them in this order:

#1 Tremolo
            #2 Phaser
            #3 Chorus
            #4 Vibrato
            #5 Flange

They're generally all set pretty mild. The tremolo probably is the most aggressively set, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DKSEARS View Post
              I usually take them in this order:

#1 Tremolo
              #2 Phaser
              #3 Chorus
              #4 Vibrato
              #5 Flange

They're generally all set pretty mild. The tremolo probably is the most aggressively set, though.
              Reverse the trem & phaser and you have my 5.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

1. Tremolo: use it on everything
                2. Chorus, I guess? Some covers require it, but I almost never reach for it unprompted.
                3. Phaser. It's dumb, but kinda fun. But dumb.
                4. Getting hit by a car
                5. Flanger

I honestly haven't messed with vibrato pedals enough to have an opinion.
                ---------------------------
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I agree with the OP ranking.

Don’t think others really read the original post. It’s ranked by severity of effect, not the order your run them in or how often you use them.

Comment

Oh, we read it. We just dgaf.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Don’t think others really read the original post
                    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                      Oh, we read it. We just dgaf.

Speak for yourself. I READ NOTHING! :P

Although, to be honest, you can make most modulation effects too extreme to be usable, or so subtle that they're felt more than heard.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The only one I may use on a semi-regular basis is a Phaser. I *might* use chorus very mildly but can go without it. The closest I have to it is enabling the Mod feature on the Fly Rig delay. I don't use any of the others. Have had flangers and a tremolo in the past but, meh, don't need 'em. I agree with the order Aceman put in the OP. That's about how I see them too. Tremolo and Vibrato could easily be switched around though.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

You know, never thought of it that way, but that's a deep concept. A Whammy pedal, or even a wah - is a manually modulated EQ pedal.

OOOOH - OOOOOH - OOOOH. Pedal idea!!!!!!

A pedal, like a Wah, that could be set for Phase, Chorus, Flange or Tremolo where you could select to vary either the depth, rate or level of the effect!!!!

So image setting it to Chorus and then manipulating
                          - The level to fade the chorus into or out of a clean arpeggio, or into a section of a lead
                          - The depth to thicken a portion of a lead that was chorussed, or to reduce the depth when switching from clean to distorted
                          - the rate to add intensity to an arpeggio as the the notes went from 8ths to 16ths, or increase the rate during a solo and slow back down during rhythm.

You saw it here first {now waits for brilliant idea to be crushed with an example of this already out there....)

Consider how you could work phase, Flange etc. There are already terms that can do this sort of thing for rate.

Comment

You've just invented the expression pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                              You've just invented the expression pedal.
                              That's another way to look at it....D'oh!

But I'm talking a dedicated pedal that had a switch to set these things, like the Dunlop Tremolo pedal. A Flanger in a pedal, not an expression pedal connected to a Flanger. Extra stuff - PITA.

Comment

Working...
                              X