Suggestions boost/overdrive for Strat bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions boost/overdrive for Strat bridge pickup

Hello everybody. Here’s my situation. I’m using a Strat with a medium-hot bridge pickup into a hot rodded Plexi type amp. I want to retain the fundamental single coil sound, but would like to add something girth in the bass and midrange, maybe with some light treble roll off, with maybe a bit more gain and sustain. With that being said, I’m hoping to garnish some suggestions. I’m concerned a straight ahead clean boost might not offer enough EQ shaping and grit, while most overdrives will offer too much. I’ve also heard great things about the Pickup Booster, but don’t really want to emulate a humbucker sound. If you would be so kind, I’d love to hear everybody’s thoughts.
    "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

If you're not going with the Duncan Pickup Booster, then may I suggest the TC Electronic Spark Booster the large one. It has many options to choose from.

Comment

JRockett Archer Ikon

Comment

The Pickup Booster *can* emulate a humbucker, but you don't have to use that function. It can boost the Strat sound so it still sounds like a Strat, only louder.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

MXR EQ 6-band

Comment

I'm using an Electro Harmonix "Allied Overdrive" unit-

It has 3-band EQ, gain that goes from clean- to really crunchy; a 0-100% wet/dry blend knob-
            plus a "boost" switch that gives saturated lead tone.

Really awesome unit, it covers all my needs for pre-amp boost and tone shaping.

I'm using mine to get a midrangey, marshallish 80's sound from my Blackstar (that's "smiley faced" EQ in itself).

5/5 stars in my book... check it out!

-Erlend ♪
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

timmy, get yourself a timmy. you can add basically no drive for a clean boost or add a fair amount of dirt if you want. there can be basically no tone change if you want, it can be that transparent. there is bass control that is pre gain so you shape the tone there, then the treble is post gain to smooth out the things you dont like. the mxr version is readily available and sounds very good

Comment

Revv G2 (Green pedal) gain rolled a bit back.
                Friedman Buxom Boost
                Friedman BE-OD or the BE OD Deluxe with gain rolled back

Empress Para EQ
                Boss EQ-200

Pro Tone Pedals Gary Holt Boost
                Klirrton Lichtbringer
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Also, the Forza is like the Pickup Booster, but with some grit to it. It is full-range, so it doesn't have a boost in any particular frequency, yet it has an active 3 band EQ. Works great on a Strat without imparting its own sound.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                    MXR EQ 6-band

Or the 10 band. Adds 4 bands of EQ and a gain boost.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Wow, lots of suggestions, I was going to say TS9 like Stevie used.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        Wow, lots of suggestions, I was going to say TS9 like Stevie used.
                        That's what I was thinking.

I get great/powerful bridge tones out of an SSL-6 into a BD-2 on my Traynor's clean channel. There isn't as much mid boost as with a tubescreamer though.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

the thing i love about timmy is you can has as much mid boost or scoop as you want. want all mids roll the bass and treble all the way off. want a scoop, leave them both full up. its just a fantastic overdrive if you love your amp and guitars tone

Comment

Wow lots of great ideas in this thread. I particularly like the idea of the Timmy or Forza because I could get a little grit if I wanted but wouldn’t have to worry about losing any bass frequencies, which help smooth out the spiky bridge frequencies. I never thought of using an EQ like a boost or light OD but if it has a gain knob I suppose it could work well for that. Has anyone ever used any of those midboost pedals, like the Demeter one, or the Skreddy Dynamic Mids Enhancer, or the One Control Purple Humper? I thought those might work similar to the EMG or Clapton Mid Boost circuits but in pedal form.
                            "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Comment

the eq's with gain are just clean gain, not dirt, but if you are pushing an already overdriving amp or pedal, itll get you more dirt.

im sure there is something like an spc or clapton midboost in a pedal but i havent tried any of em. i love both those things though

Comment

Working...
                              X