banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best "Mini" Tube Screamer? Besides Ibanez....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "Mini" Tube Screamer? Besides Ibanez....

Obviously Ibanez makes a Mini 808. But what is the best non-Ibanez version? Mooer, Donner, what? Anyone with thoughts or experience???
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I have a Mooer Green Mile that works in a pinch....

Comment

See if anyone has a Lil Modified Overdrive in stock. It is a really great TS-based OD, better than Ibanez.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You may want to consider the Wampler Belle Transparent Overdrive Pedal.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I liked the Cusack Scream mainly because it doesn't have a footswitch (it's designed to be used in a loop) so the knobs are bigger. It also has a lot of gain and has different modes.

Honestly, the Ibanez mini is great and that's what I would use in a normal pedalboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
            I've been suspicious of John Cusack's pedals ever since he starred in Serendipity opposite Kate Beckinsale.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
              I've been suspicious of John Cusack's pedals ever since he starred in Serendipity opposite Kate Beckinsale.
              These are actually from Joan's line. Much better for bad hair metal IMO.

edit;
              That was a JC "bad hair" joke, not a "bad hair-metal" joke,,,,,,thought I should clarify before all the hair metal people come after me with their sprays, curling-irons and hair-picks.
              Last edited by dave74; 08-11-2021, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

edit;
                That was a JC "bad hair" joke, not a "bad hair-metal" joke,,,,,,thought I should clarify before all the hair metal people come after me with their sprays, curling-irons and hair-picks.
                I don't trust Joan. She's a rock hater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

edit;
                  I totally got the joke. Excellent!

Comment

While we are on the subject of mini pedals, what's the appeal? Any time I've needed to save space on my board, I just look at it and realize I don't actually use half the stuff that's on there.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      While we are on the subject of mini pedals, what's the appeal? Any time I've needed to save space on my board, I just look at it and realize I don't actually use half the stuff that's on there.
                      None - just into how small they are. I can have multiple boards, swap stuff out whatever. Not a space issue. Just dig the cool little pedals.

If I need a board, bigger board, different board, I can make one in an hour with a few boards, a saw, some screws and spray paint + Velcoro.

Comment

I just remembered. I actually have a mini on my board, the MXR Sugar Drive. It's not a tubescreamer, it's more Klonish but it has some mid-range so you may like it.

Comment

I must pose the question.... Is there really a bad Tube Screamer?

I mean, you can dial in something nice with any of the chipset versions and it's a super easy circuit to copy.

Any MFG making a bad one probably sucks at everything.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I mean, you can dial in something nice with any of the chipset versions and it's a super easy circuit to copy.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Tubescreamers, but it is fun to take em apart and see what whacky things they have going on under the hood. Take the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's half through-hole half SMT, most likely juryrigged together. Plus they throw a killer amp sim on there, and the whole pedal is no more than $50 used.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Likely true....

But you know, if there was a mini with a regular/hot and a mid control....or something. or an 808/9/mod switch or whatever

Comment

Working...
                              X