Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Bypass the battery when a pedal is off

Howdy,

Is there any mods, specifically for a Boss style pedal, that would make it so that I could leave my pedal plugged in when I'm not using it and have it not drain the battery? Also, how come this isn't standard? Is there a reason the battery shouldn't be connected when you turn the pedal on?
    "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

If you cut battery power to the circuit when bypassing, often you can get a pop in the audio signal, unless there's some resistor or something in the line to absorb it, but that can affect the sound when not bypassing, depending on how it's done.

Just use AC power and skip the battery.

Comment

I will guess this is not standard because the simple devices for doing this, like a diode, would drop some voltage. The pedal would not have the full 9V available when operating from the battery. It could be overcome on the converter side with a higher voltage. Now if the pedal did not need the full 9V...
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackhawkRise View Post
        Howdy,

Is there any mods, specifically for a Boss style pedal, that would make it so that I could leave my pedal plugged in when I'm not using it and have it not drain the battery? Also, how come this isn't standard? Is there a reason the battery shouldn't be connected when you turn the pedal on?
        Boss pedals always have a buffer on. If you bypass the buffer the circuitry that powers the buffer isn't powered, so no signal will go through. If you want a pedal to completely bypass drawing power while still passing signal you need a true bypass switch.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You can always put a dummy-plug in the power jack to keep it from draining the 9v, but if you're doing that every time then it might wear the jack loose over time.

Comment

If you’re pedals are mounted in such a way you can’t unplug them easily, I’m assuming they’re on a board.

If you’re using a board, get a power supply. I did batteries and loose pedals for a long time. When I put them on a board, I switched over to a One Spot, then a Donner or Mooer isolated supply. It’s way easier. Even now that I only use a couple at a time loose, I still use the power supply.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

You can't do that with a Boss. It would have to be converted to true bypass, which is a major pain on a Boss pedal.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Pedals are made to be unplugged when not in use. Before that was a standard feature, some had power switches like my old EHX Big Muff Pi.

Your choices are: remove the batteries, unplug the input jacks, or get a power supply. A power supply will save you money in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Power supply - brick style - is a game changer. I resisted for the first 20 years of my guitar playing. Now, there's no going back. I'm not talking power adapters for each pedal - no, a single brick to power all your pedals.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

my current one is this one

it has some plugs on top in case you need that outlier
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                    X