banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low-balled a pedal and won! Look what I got!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-balled a pedal and won! Look what I got!!!!!

I have heard that these suck. But, I always have to question the actual "suck" vs the "I don't think it sounds like it says" or "That isn't an EXACT copy of a Twin Reverb!!!" or 'people just don't know how to set the knobs' factors. So I throw a cheap big on these every now and again just to do it. well - I won one - and what a nicely cared for one with power supply!!!!

I am gonna sit down and make some righteous tones with this. You may have heard me often say "That sound is preset #37 on a Digitech RPA".

Well - now we are gonna find out!!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Cool man! I used to have the bass version of that thing. It was pretty fun.

Zoom made something similar, the GFX-708 for guitar and the BFX-708 for bass. The bass one was my introduction to the world of effects. I sill have recordings of shows I played with that thing and I still have fond memories of that box.

Comment

$26.00

In totally great shape!

Comment

I have the big brother GNX3000
        does it have the usb and software?
        You can get updates on the website
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Bah! Who needs updates? I got this for the vintage kitschy factor.

I made a quick pass though the 200 presets. Quick observations:

[Nuclear Jackson > RP > Clean Channel of Peavey Express]

1. Can you say Over-effected? LOL
          2. I have no idea what 7 Dust or Incubus should sound like (old man is old)
          3. Some cool clean sounds!
          4. A lot of the dirt channels sound the same
          5. The Boogie sounds nothing like a Boogie
          6. The Stack sounds not-very-stack
          7. Acey & Angus sound pretty ok. I'd use the AC/DC sound live
          8. Definitely 30 or so pretty good hard rock/metal tones in here

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            1. Can you say Over-effected? LOL
            Out of the box they were set this way to "wow" guitar newbs at the guitar shop thinking they were getting the greatest deal on earth.

"Why pay thousands for multiple amps and pedals when I could have it all in this plastic unit for $150?"

That was my thinking also when I was a teenager at the time.

My friend had one of these back in the early '00s. While they are not completely unusable and were handy for direct recording, they sound fake as hell compared to any analogue guitar amp. My Peavey Rage 158 is a cheap practice amp with very limited options but 100% sounds more real than any of these old toys.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
              Out of the box they were set this way to "wow" guitar newbs at the guitar shop thinking they were getting the greatest deal on earth.
              Still, I owned a Boss ME-8. The presets all sucked. But I programmed some completely BAd@$$ tones;
              - A Marshall sound that everyone loved
              - VH 5150 tone that was spot on
              - Ratt Invasion tones
              - A bunch more....

I'm giving it a swing. I have always believed that most hate for these was from people that either expected spot-on models in those days, or didn't bother with the knobs because dumb/lazy.

I could be wrong though...the hate is strong on the intarweb for these!

Comment

Still, I owned a Boss ME-8. The presets all sucked. But I programmed some completely BAd@$$ tones
                My cousin once lent me his ME-8. The presets are just wacky!

No manual, so I didn't know how the tweak the thing. I've read that the distortion/od/compressor are analogue, though can't be sure of that. It might be the reason you've been able to create some good tones out of yours. Also, Boss quality and probably not priced as an entry level product.

Comment

For $26 its a deal. Not a penny more, though.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Still, I owned a Boss ME-8. The presets all sucked. But I programmed some completely BAd@$$ tones;
                    - A Marshall sound that everyone loved
                    - VH 5150 tone that was spot on
                    - Ratt Invasion tones
                    - A bunch more....

I'm giving it a swing. I have always believed that most hate for these was from people that either expected spot-on models in those days, or didn't bother with the knobs because dumb/lazy.

I could be wrong though...the hate is strong on the intarweb for these!
                    Yeah, definitely have to take the time to dial in your own patches. There are some great sounding, very usable tones in that box.

I sold my Digitech to a bass player buddy close to 20 years ago. He still uses that thing in his recording rig with the patches I created way back before I sold it to him. In fact, he just sent me a couple songs he did this weekend.

In reality, I wouldn't expect that to replace a pedal board with pro level stomp boxes, but I do think those small, cheap multi effect processors can be useful.

Comment

The Me8 did have analog drive circuitry while the rest of the fx were digital, the DigiTech unit however was all digital and those did sound very fake as far as distortion were concerned, no amount of tweaking would allow it to hold a candle against a cheap tube amp + boss bd2 back in the day, couple that with the plastic body enclosures made them seem like toys to most people. So that's probably where they got the hate from in the first place, bold marketing claims that didn't deliver.

Comment

***ALL APOLOGIES: CORRECTIONS....ME-6!!!! But nearly the same thing. ME8 more memory/controls mostly

But dang - look at that thing?!?!?! How neat and clean is that layout?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          For $26 its a deal. Not a penny more, though.
                          Seriously?

I got the power adapter, the box, and the thing is ultra-clean.

Comment

Seriously?

I got the power adapter, the box, and the thing is ultra-clean.
                            It isn't terrible. But it is a little like every model is the same with a slightly different EQ. It is a fun little pedal.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

if it has the USB port and the XEdit software you cna edit those presets from your desktop on a larger signal chain looking interface

if it doesn't have the software
                              its online with the update, grampa

EDIT
                              nevermind yorn aint got that
                              Last edited by ehdwuld; 09-06-2021, 08:55 AM.
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X