No announcement yet.

Who Has Actually Used Detune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The modulation of chorus modulates the delay time, not the pitch. (Likewise with a flanger.) Not all choruses have a detune in their circuit. Those that do just use it to make the effect richer or to better simulate multiple sources (though the delay times are short enough you shouldn't perceive multiple taps or 'sources'.). 15 milliseconds isn't any kind of standard. I've seen rack units use anywhere between 4ms up to 40ms. It's a delay effect with a modulated time delay. It just stops sounding like a chorus once you get too far out of the range where the human ear can tell it's two or more taps.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Not all choruses have a detune in their circuit.
      Show us one that doesn't detune - the very definition of chorus demands a slight pitch shift.

Chorus without modulation is simply a very slight delay (the other aspect of chorus).

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      15 milliseconds isn't any kind of standard. I've seen rack units use anywhere between 4ms up to 40ms.
      15 milliseconds was used as an example or average amount in the article; obviously.

Last edited by LLL; 09-19-2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

This is a Steve Morse track that I did which has detune all over it (Eventide PitchFactor).

...not to mention harmonized lines.

Detune is cool on distortion, but it really shines on clean (Strat clean in this example).

Detune sounds like a different kind of chorus.

Last edited by LLL; 09-20-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          This is a Steve Morse track that I did which has detune all over it (Eventide PitchFactor).

...not to mention harmonized lines.

Detune is cool on distortion, but it really shines on clean (Strat clean in this example).

Detune sounds like a different kind of chorus.

Great job on a great tune! Steve uses a detune effect on all of his clean sounds on that album.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I thought that was a MOD pedal?
            It is but it has a detune function in the chorus setting.
            I’m assuming that was the OP’s reference and not actually using a pedal that detunes your guitar like the digitech drop…?

Comment

My understanding is detune is tuning down, hence de-tune, like what Digitech Whammy does. Joe Satriani uses his a lot. But wait...that might be pitch shifting.

Comment

The Eventide (or models of it) is the best for it since it allows each voice to be detuned and/or delayed. Add in a Tri-Chorus and some compression and you get to the Micheal Landeau sound.

For the record, classic chorus effect is a copy of the original signal, slightly delayed with the delay time modulated and mixed back into the original signal. If you remove the original signal you get vibrato. Classic pedal flanging is the same with a shorter delay and the signal fedback into the original as well. (The feedback/resonance is this and the Manual is the delay time). You can have multi voice chorus as well. This is different than detune as the pitch of the effected signal is changing, with detune it is typically fixed.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                  My understanding is detune is tuning down, hence de-tune, like what Digitech Whammy does. Joe Satriani uses his a lot. But wait...that might be pitch shifting.
                  Dimebag did some detune on the Damageplan album with his Whammy. You just need a few cents of separation between the wet/dry tone.
                  Last edited by Securb; 09-20-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Dimebag did some detune on the Damageplan album with his Whammy. You just need a few cents of separation between the wet/dry tone.
                    Yes it’s interesting that the Whammy does pitch shift, harmonizer and detune, all with a simple knob and treadle.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

It is but it has a detune function in the chorus setting.
                      I’m assuming that was the OP’s reference and not actually using a pedal that detunes your guitar like the digitech drop…?
                      The Digitech Drop drops the guitar in half steps we are taking a much more subtle detuning.

Comment

I think some people are mixing up Harmonizer and Harmonizing. You can use a Harmonizer for harmonizing dialing a 3rd, 5th or oct. You can also use a Harmonizer to detune by a couple of cents. Most Harmonizers will be able to pull off both functions.

Comment

The Digitech Drop drops the guitar in half steps we are taking a much more subtle detuning.
                          Correct. The detune function in the Mobius is a chorusing effect and not dropping pitch like the Digitech does.
                          LLL described it pretty accurately above.
                          You can set it to be very present in your tone, like Eddie did in the Van Hagar years but I have mine set much more subtle. More like a thickener. You as a player will notice when it’s not there but it’s not something the listener would probably notice.

Comment

Yes, a chorus uses some subtle LFO shifting. It is nowhere near what we would call true detuning. To achieve detuning the way we look at it, a harmonizer of some type is needed. Eddie, Vai and Holdsworth all needed a harmonizer to pull off this effect.

Comment

Yes, a chorus uses some subtle LFO shifting. It is nowhere near what we would call true detuning. To achieve detuning the way we look at it, a harmonizer of some type is needed. Eddie, Vai and Holdsworth all needed a harmonizer to pull off this effect.
                              Allan used 8 pitch shifters at once for his clean sound.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Allan used 8 pitch shifters at once for his clean sound.
                                Not clean but pitch shifting at its best.

Comment

Working...
                                X