Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuner + noise gate + switchable buffer - the ultimate "utility pedal"

Hey team

One thing I've been thinking about, when trying to assemble a complete pedal board that is also a reasonable size, is "why aren't there all-in-one utility pedals?"

What I mean by this is something like a tuner + noise gate + switchable buffer, or other common pedals that are good to have, but that aren't your primary tone shapers or effects

Does something like this exist that I don't know about?
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

I haven't seen an all-in-one for the above.

Noise gate you need flexibility to decide where it is in the chain.

I thought the Boss tuners had a buffer (not switchable)? Don't most tuner with a 'thru' path have a buffer? (Maybe I'm way wrong on that.)

The switchable buffer I've seen was just a little box, barely larger than the switch (similar size to a Strymon Tap Favorite). I think a tuner + switchable buffer doesn't take that much space.

These days I just use a Zoom mostly, which is an entire set of 50 pedalboards in one pedal, so there's that. Has a good silent tuner built in. Haven't had to worry about switchable buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      I thought the Boss tuners had a buffer (not switchable)?
      The Wazacraft boss tuner has a switchable buffer - you can either use the boss buffer (which is a decent one) or you can go true bypass.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^Boss tuner has a Waza version? What does the switch do? Going from chromatic to standard or from mic to clip?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
          ^Boss tuner has a Waza version? What does the switch do? Going from chromatic to standard or from mic to clip?
          The switch turns the tuner on (mutes guitar signal) or off (allows guitar signal through). Pretty much like any other tuner I think. But you can choose if you want to use their buffer or true bypass when not tuning.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

The switch turns the tuner on (mutes guitar signal) or off (allows guitar signal through). Pretty much like any other tuner I think. But you can choose if you want to use their buffer or true bypass when not tuning.
            Yea, there are definitely tuners that have optional buffering. The TC polytune series comes to mind.

I'm just surprised tuners / optional buffers aren't built into other products more commonly. They're so basic that it seems like the first two tools an anyones guitar-playing swiss army knife

Maybe I just feel that way because I'm actively trying to condense my board to the bare essentials....
            Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
            Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
            Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
            Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
            Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
            Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
            Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
            Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
            Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
            PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Working...