MXR 5150 Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR 5150 Overdrive

How many of you have this pedal? And what's your favorite settings?

I'm buying this pedal this weekend once again after selling it last year. Going to keep it this time. I really missed it.

I got one for Christmas last year. LOVE IT! I like the bass at about 11 o'clock, mids about 2:30, treble about 1-2 o'clock, gain about noon-1 o'clock, output about 1 o'clock but that could be different in your setup. Sometimes I dial the gain back to about 9-10 o'clock and it's still plenty punchy.

Mine isn't going nowhere. If I need a quick and dirty EVH board, I'll grab that, my MXR Script Phase 90, and Boss DM-2w Delay. Done. Run that in to the front of a clean amp and it works.
    Last edited by ErikH; 10-27-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I got one for Christmas last year. LOVE IT! I like the bass at about 11 o'clock, mids about 2:30, treble about 1-2 o'clock, gain about noon-1 o'clock, output about 1 o'clock but that could be different in your setup. Sometimes I dial the gain back to about 9-10 o'clock and it's still plenty punchy.

Mine is going nowhere. If I need a quick and dirty EVH board, I'll grab that, my MXR Script Phase 90, and Boss DM-2w Delay. Done. Run that in to the front of a clean amp and it works.
      That sounds pretty similar to where I usually had my settings at but with smart gate at 7 and boost on. Yeah it is still punchy with gain rolled back. Can't wait to play around with it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
        I get the feeling that the pedal is geared toward the more modern sounds, like 1990 and after. How does it do on early VH?
        You can get those early VH tones as well as modern with the right guitar and pickup with this pedal. I really enjoyed my JB equipped guitars with it. Looking forward in how it sounds with the Custom since I finally got one now. Even if you're not into VH the 5150 sounds good for modern metal, too. Its a killer overdrive.

Comment

I definitely use the noise gate. Just enough to suppress the noise but remain dynamic. The boost is great when I have the gain set low and want more without changing the dial.

It’s a very flexible overdrive but obviously excels at VH tones. It is designed after the blue channel of the amp after all.
          Last edited by ErikH; 10-27-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Great pedal, I have two just in case one breaks and or they ever stop making them.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

How much, eh, how much does it sound like a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V2? Because that has Vintage and Modern modes that kind of do that.
              No idea. Never tried that pedal before.

Comment

Working...
              X