Top Shelf Phasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Shelf Phasers

Phasers have long been a weakness of mine. Over the years I have owned more of them than I care to admit and I still have about 20 of them.

I just received a VFE Enterprise and I currently have on my boards: 4 BYOC Classic Phasers, (each with different mods), Blackout Effectors Sibling, a BYOC Soaring Skillet, Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe, J Rockett Tranquilizer, Retro-Sonic Phaser (4 knob), MXR Phase 95, a modified MXR Phase 90, MojoHand Mister-O and a Whirlwind Orange Box.

Those who use phasers, what do you have and what do you like about them? I'm looking for recommendations for what to track down next.
    Last edited by Dudeman7; 12-16-2021, 08:53 PM.

I’m a sucker for two stage phasers. Clean, I love how they can create movement while being super subtle. With gain, it’s more apparent and very nice touch for solos.

My favorite is the Skreddy Lil Miss Sunshine. No idea what they do differently but it’s quite awesome. Ace made fun of it for being overpriced and I don’t disagree, I just love it.

Next is the DOD Phasor 201. I used to have an original but without LED it was a pain. I currently have a reissue and I think it’s amazing value. I also like the MXR 45s but not as much. The Diamond phase is flexible but too big imho, the Jam ripple is really nice but quite expensive and… the art is too much

So if budget is not a concern, lil miss sunshine or jam ripple. If not, the DOD 201 is great value.

I rarely use four stage phasers.

Also, IMHO phasers should go always before gain
    Last edited by Blille; 12-16-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Always wanted to build a BYOC Phase Royale. But in the end, my phasing needs are simple. I like 4 stages, Small Stone-type. I am good with that.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another nod to the Skreddy. Very nice pedal.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I couldn't edit my post above so I will add the Walrus Lillian is also a nice pedal.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I love phasers!

I've owned a Boss PH-3 (cool step function, but couldn't gel with the basic 4 stage phasing sound . . . just didn't sound right), MXR phase 90 (decent phaser) but eventually settled on a big box EHX Small Stone. The SS has a really nice, smooth sound for cleans that I haven't heard anything else beat. I ended up modding mine to make it switchable to sound more like a univibe (just need to swap out three capacitors to different values) and really liked that . . . so this year I picked up a Deja Vibe which has currently kicked the SS off my board. The Deja Vibe can cop very similar vibe tones at lower rate/intensity, but also does the univibe stuff really well.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I too was a Phaser junky. I had more Big Muffs, Phasers and Analog Delays than I knew what to do with. Have you tried a Whetstone or Quasar? I still have my absolute unit of a phaser, the ProphecySound Infinitphase.

A weird think happened. A had all these phasers including vintage Phase 90s, and a vintage Phase 45 I was tweaking and trying. Then I needed a simple, reliable one with 9V power for my board for my band. I put an EVH on there and it’s now my go-to in script mode. I want to get a Phase 95 to have the 2-stage tone as well, but EVH what I use now.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

My favorite is the good old MXR Phase 90. I have the custom shop script model. I used to have an EVH and then a Whirlwind Orange Box. Also great phasers. Wouldn't mind having those again just because.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  I too was a Phaser junky. I had more Big Muffs, Phasers and Analog Delays than I knew what to do with.
                  Those are my three weaknesses too.

Comment

I never thought the Boss Phaser sounded right, either. That was the first phaser I had heard, and for years thought I didn't like the sound of a phaser...until I heard other ones.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I never thought the Boss Phaser sounded right, either. That was the first phaser I had heard, and for years thought I didn't like the sound of a phaser...until I heard other ones.
                      It's weird because I desperately wanted to love it. I always wanted to try one of the older non-digital boss phasers to see if that was the problem.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I really liked the Maxon PT9 Pro+
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Those are my three weaknesses too.

It was wild I could have built at least 6 boards with those 3 types of pedals. They are all so fun!
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I really like the Boss PH-2 in standard/mode-1, but it's weak unless you run the depth very high, like near or at max. Other settings to taste.
                            For metal leads it's probably my favorite out of my four phasers. It's also very good for creepy/wormy cleans in mode-1. Mode-2 is just weirdness.

Boss PH-3 is a good catch-all, but any of it's modes can easily be beaten by anolog models of about any brand, except for the step-mode.(which is just insanely awesome!)

MXR 90 (current CS script) is great at everything really. Maybe not my favorite for any one sound but it's so easy to sound good for any use.

Maxon PT9pro+ For cleans this is gorgeous. It can be very 3-D and transparent, almost like some hi-end studio chorus effect.
                            For metal leads it gets shrill in it's overtones unless you set it's feedback lower. Setting it higher makes some great hi-flying harmonics though.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                              I’m a sucker for two stage phasers. Clean, I love how they can create movement while being super subtle. With gain, it’s more apparent and very nice touch for solos.

My favorite is the Skreddy Lil Miss Sunshine. No idea what they do differently but it’s quite awesome. Ace made fun of it for being overpriced and I don’t disagree, I just love it.

Next is the DOD Phasor 201. I used to have an original but without LED it was a pain. I currently have a reissue and I think it’s amazing value. I also like the MXR 45s but not as much. The Diamond phase is flexible but too big imho, the Jam ripple is really nice but quite expensive and… the art is too much

So if budget is not a concern, lil miss sunshine or jam ripple. If not, the DOD 201 is great value.

I rarely use four stage phasers.

Also, IMHO phasers should go always before gain
                              For the most part, I agree that phasers sound better before gain. I usually have a couple before and 1 after for the overly pronounced sweep you get from phaser after fuzz.

I'll have to check out the Skreddy as I've only heard good things about those. I have a DOD Phasor 201 in my stash.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X