NPD: MXR M293 booster mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: MXR M293 booster mini

This is a combined echoplex preamp and a micro amp in a mini format. You have the volume and tone of the micro amp in front and you have a trim pot inside for the echoplex preamp gain.

I started by having the EP gain at 0 and using the pedal like a micro amp. Which is a classic, nice boost with a unique flavor. Then I went all out with the EP preamp and I ended up settling on the EP at 75% or so, which seems like a sweet spot for my taste and has unity volume with the volume at minimum. Yes, this has a lot of volume on tap.

I’m no EP preamp expert so I can’t say how close to the real deal this is but compared to the micro amp standalone, what I got was the sensitivity feeling that you get with cranked amps. I particularly liked what it did with the bottom three strings and the neck pickup. It feels like there is a bit of compression and some tone sweetening but it’s not super obvious.

Very impressed. I just tried it on clean with a HS duosonic. I’ll try with an amp on breakup and with other pedals and see what it does.

Last edited by Blille; 12-17-2021, 03:55 PM.

That does look like a useful little pedal!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If the in/outs were opposite I'd consider that for my mini-board.

I am still a fan of one knob = more louder style.

I do get the benefits of a tone/bass/treble though. Dynamics change...dynamically!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Seems like it would make a great solo enhancer type effect.

Comment

Just tried it with dirt and it's great to push a pedal or dirty amp. Still not sure what it does but it works very well not like just increasing the gain and it's not an obvious EQ curve like a TS.

Comment

Working...
          X