Help build my practice board!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help build my practice board!

I received a Boss BCB30X board for Christmas. It has room for 3 “standard” size pedals. I think I’d like a looper. I won’t need a tuner. What other two pedal types would you use? Please limit answers to type vs. a particular brand name.
    Last edited by skydog; 01-05-2022, 08:45 PM.

Mod and delay would be my move.

Comment

If your amp has a loop then I'd put the looper pedal in their at the end. Out front they'll need to be Boss in order to snap down into the 3-case tightly,,,,(correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

Do you want pedal dirt or are you using the amp's gain/distortion?

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        If your amp has a loop then I'd put the looper pedal in their at the end. Out front they'll need to be Boss in order to snap down into the 3-case tightly,,,,(correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

Do you want pedal dirt or are you using the amp's gain/distortion?
        My amp, a Siegmund Midnight Special, is clean with lots of headroom. Any brand pedal will work with the 30X. Unlike the earlier 30 that had rigid pedal locator ridges.
        Last edited by skydog; 12-30-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

In that case your overdrive of choice and a delay - maybe a carbon copy (or vapor trail) so you can add a touch of modulation to the delay.

Comment

Originally posted by skydog View Post
            My amp, a Siegmund Midnight Special, is clean with lots of headroom. Any brand pedal will work with the 30X. Unlike the earlier 30 that had rigid pedal locator ridges.
            Cool they changed those cases. Mine is the old version that just snap in there tight enough to scuff the pedals up.

Comment

I'd want a high quality amplike OD, something with very good volume knob cleanup at relatively high drive settings.
              To have a nice broad spectrum of gain textures available without needing to redial settings.

Plus a mod pedal that can do multiple types: chorus, flange. phaser, vibe.
              Or maybe a delay, as suggested above, if your tastes run in that direction.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

On my 3-pedal board, I have a Digitech Jamman, EH Small Stone and a Bad Monkey.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                  In that case your overdrive of choice and a delay - maybe a carbon copy (or vapor trail) so you can add a touch of modulation to the delay.
                  I support this.

Comment

Id go soft clipper OD like a blues breaker, a multi FX pedal with delay, harmonizer, vibe, and chorus and then a kick ass trem/everb combo.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

If you're sold on the looper, I'd add a versatile gain pedal (something like the Boss BD-2 that can go from boost up to almost fuzz) and a univibe.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What are you planning on using this for?

- With a band?
                        - Solos over chords?
                        - Just regular "jamming" by yourself?
                        - Travel board?
                        - Backup emergencies?

What what what???
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

OK - screw waiting. Here is THE best answer you will get to this question:

#1 Dirt. But what dirt? Using a clean amp, with a lot of headroom I might want a little, or a lot, or a whole lot.
                          - The BOSS-JHS Angry Driver! A BD2 + The Angry Charlie one, the other, both in series or parallel...etc.

#2 Got to have some swirl....but what swirl? Chorus is nice, but so over used. Maybe a Phaser...but 45 or 90? One may be too subtle, and one too much. Plus, hard to control with one knob. Perhaps a Flanger, they can do chorus! But there are not that many Flanger opportunities. One never knows, and they are all individually a compromise, so a multi-midulation pedal is order!
                          - The EHX Mod11! All the Flange, Phase, Chorus, Tremolo and more you need to flavor it with a bit of spice.

#3 Last pedal....I know the amp has Reverb, but as cool as one knob amp Reverb is, there are times when you just want something else....Delay or Reverb? Delay or Reverb...
                          - The Wampler Ethereal! Delay (with a lot of cool functions, and a cool plate reverb (Your amp doesn't have that, does it?!?!?!)

Run those into the amp straight in the from in that order.

Get a separate loop pedal for "in the loop"
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Sorry for the delay… :o This setup is going to be used almost exclusively for practice/rehearsal at home. Recording chord progressions then adding harmonizing chords and/or lead lines on top. The looper is essential to what I want to do. I want to be able to plunk this board down, plug guitar in, plug in to amp, and go. Simplicity is paramount, as I’m making a concentrated effort at increasing and improving practice time. Granted, all I really need is the looper, just trying to make it a little more fun. Adding dirt seems very popular, so there’s room for one more pedal!
                            Last edited by skydog; 01-05-2022, 07:10 AM.

Comment

For me it’s dirt and delay.

I like Ace’s Angry Driver suggestion. I also like the Carbon Copy suggestion. The modulation on the Carbon Copy can get a little swirl for cleaner tones. Then the looper of your choice!
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X