No announcement yet.

BYOC Yellow Overdrive (Boss OD-1 Clone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYOC Yellow Overdrive (Boss OD-1 Clone)

I finally had time to build this thing. We've had so much going on. So glad I was able to get it done. This is one great overdrive. Takes me back to when I first started playing and a friend lent me his original OD-1 for a while. The graphic is Rip from Yellowstone. I've already had a few people mention Hank Jr...LOL. It was a fun project to do.

That TC Electronic 3rd Dimension is my Christmas present from my wife. Killer pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG image 6.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	6141629

Name:	JPEG image 3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	6141631

Name:	JPEG image 4.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	6141630

Hey you missed a resistor!

Comment

No looks great! Funny graphic too

Comment

LOL. Thanks. I'm going to put "Let's Rip" below the foot switch. My wife did that on her Cricket machine.

Comment

I usually run mine with level cranked and dist 9-10 o clock

Comment

I've been playing with different settings. Last night I had the level at noon and the drive at around 2 to 3 o'clock.

Comment

Are these just like the sd1 without a tone? I like my black sd1 as a dirty-amp booster with level max, gain around 8:30, and tone about 10:00.

Comment

Same basic circuit design and premise but different in which input/output on the IC as well as some other different part values. The original OD-1 used a 14-pin IC chip. It handled the usual IC functionality as an 8-pin but also the input/output buffers of the circuit. Later versions of the OD-1 used an 8-pin IC and transistors for the input/output buffers, like the SD-1 does. The exception is the OD-1 IC signal flow input/output was the same as how it was with the 14-pin (inverted vs non-inverted), opposite of what the SD-1 is. Those 8-pin versions are a lot more similar to the SD-1 than this circuit is. This is probably a lot more than you wanted to know. lol. Same kind of drive, yeah. To me it sounds bigger than the SD-1.

Comment

OD-1 on the freq analyzer looks somewhat like a perfect half moon, with the peak at 800Hz.

It has a perfect hi-pass slope... cuts all the unwanted mushy low end out.

Comment

Oh yeah I remember the Wampler comparison video now you mentioned the analyzer. I really like the extra lows of the sd1 but It's probably because most of my guitars have pickups that are already fairly compressed.

Comment

Does kinda look like Hank. Enjoy.

Comment

Nice and clean build! Enjoy it.

Those BYOC kits are fun and they are truly great sounding pedals. Highly underrated, IMO. I have built close to thirty of them over the past year and a lot of them have replaced expensive, boutique pedals that I had been using.

Be careful though. They are known to be habit forming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                          Nice and clean build! Enjoy it.

Those BYOC kits are fun and they are truly great sounding pedals. Highly underrated, IMO. I have built close to thirty of them over the past year and a lot of them have replaced expensive, boutique pedals that I had been using.

Be careful though. They are known to be habit forming.
                          Wow, that's a lot! I've build maybe 5, but I'd be interested in what you've built and what you like the best.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So far, I have done 2 Mouse kits, 2 Soaring Skillets, 3 Analog Chorus, 2 Li'l Fuzz, 2 Triangle Large Beavers, 2 Ram's Head Large Beaver, 3 Classic Delays, 5 Classic Phasers, 1 Tremolo, 1 Brownface Harmonic Tremolo, 1 Silver Pony II, 1 Envelope Filter/Fixed Wah and 2 Analog Delays.

I guess that's 27?

Some of the ones I made multiples of were for friends. Of the ones I kept, the Soaring Skillet, Large Beavers, Analog Delay, Classic Phaser and the Mouse are favorites.

The Analog Chorus is a terrific CE-2 with next to zero noise and the Analog Delay (Boss DM-2) is so good that I sold my original Boss from the early 80's for a ridiculous price. The BYOC sounds indistinguishable but the bypass doesn't kill your tone like the original.

I'm a fan.

Comment

Name:	20211026_195109.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	6142492
                              There are a bunch of BYOC pedals scattered among these boards.

Comment

Working...
                              X