Does anyone on here do a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone on here do a...

...good job of painting/finishing enclosures?

There have to be at least a few who build their own pedals, between kits and people who design their own etc.

Any of paint/otherwise finish them off decently?

Show us what you've got.

I usually buy my enclosures pre-powdercoated. It only costs a dollar or two extra, and is way better than I can be arsed to do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	11161002436_d23ba1de5c_b.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	6144843Click image for larger version

Name:	11208721985_e32e32f379_b.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6144844
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Totally agree! Paint only looks good until it starts chipping.
      I do like the look of the etched enclosures, but never pursued doing it myself.

Comment

Those pedals do look way cooler than a plain grey box.
        What's in each of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          Totally agree! Paint only looks good until it starts chipping.
          I do like the look of the etched enclosures, but never pursued doing it myself.
          Expensive to do too I'd imagine if you don't have the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I usually buy my enclosures pre-powdercoated. It only costs a dollar or two extra, and is way better than I can be arsed to do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	11161002436_d23ba1de5c_b.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	6144843Click image for larger version

Name:	11208721985_e32e32f379_b.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6144844
            How can you be sure they use the Toanz Paint?
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
              Those pedals do look way cooler than a plain grey box.
              What's in each of them?
              The orange one is a combination fuzz/octave down (based on an MXR blue box), the pink one was my take on the Death By Audio Robot circuit, and the blue one is an envelope filter (based on the Mad Professor Snow White Autowah).

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

How can you be sure they use the Toanz Paint?
                The Toanz are in the gigantic 10 mm LEDs that I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Are you trying to light the rigging?
                  I just thought they looked cool. Took some experimenting though . . . with the wrong pulldown resistor to light up the LED they can be blinding. :P

Comment

I usually use spray paint. The stuff for automotive use or model cars seems to hold up best. I also clear coat the hell out of them. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_003208.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6145047 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_135711.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6145048 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_185809.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	6145049 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211128_194759.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	6145050

Comment

Do I? No - although I did an Orange EVH one once.

Could I? Sure...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've done a few with spray paint. Ruff up the enclosure good so the paint adheres to it or it'll orange peel something awful. Ask me how I know...LOL.
                        I've done one where the paint was baked after painting. You could go get a toaster oven and use it just for that purpose. Don't ever cook food in it after you do that. Since I didn't have a toaster oven and it was in the middle of summer here in TX, I put the enclosure in the attic for a few days and let it cook in the heat up there. Worked pretty good.
                        My recent BYOC Yellow Overdrive built is just spray paint from Walmart. Nothing fancy. It's not even clear coated. If it ruffs up while I'm using it, so be it. I'm not worried about it being pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                          I usually use spray paint. The stuff for automotive use or model cars seems to hold up best. I also clear coat the hell out of them. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_003208.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6145047 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_135711.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6145048 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_185809.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	6145049 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211128_194759.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	6145050
                          Wow, they are some really impressive paint jobs.

Looks like it must be difficult to blend the colours like you've done.
                          ...what did you use for the text?

Comment

Thanks man. It's a lot easier than you might think to do the blends and fades. The letters on these ones are foil stickers that I found at a hobby store. Super easy to use and they stay put once the pedal is clear coated.

Comment

I scuff them up with 100 grit sandpaper, spraypaint them with probably 6 coats (light sanding in between) , then 3 coats of acrylic (light sanding in between) , then add waterslide decals or vinyl cut decals, then 3-4 coats of acrylic again (with light sanding) then apply finishing wax and buff out.

Looks as pro as you can get.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X