Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX Hot Tubes

Hello,
    I’m searching for a warmer tone for when I gig. At home I have an ac15 which I’m very pleased with but I miss the tube tone I get when I gig because I use a Peavey Special 112. Could the EHX Hot Tubes get me there? I’ve seen some videos, including JHS’s ‘EHX’s most underrated pedals’ and I simply loved the demo. Has anybody tried this pedal in order to give me some insight?

I used one for quite some time. It’s a great pedal and it makes sense that it made it into an underrated list. It’s very dynamic so I used it mostly in a mild ish setting to have some grit when I would dig in. I also used it it with my tweed to have the “blowing up” kind of sound without having to crank the amp fully, it would blend nicely with my amp’s drive.

I don’t think it will give a tube sound to your peavey but it may sound more organic, natural and a step closer than just playing into it with say, a tubescreamer. You could also experiment having the hot tubes always on in a mild setting and hitting it with other drives. Also I would experiment having it in the loop and trying amp in a box drives into the amp or the loop. If you’re chasing a particular amp sound, the Catalinbread foundation series are excellent. Tech21 has also many fans. I just got a Vox Mystic Edge that does a good job of giving you a vox sound. You could plug it straight into the return of your amp.
    Last edited by Blille; 01-22-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
      I used one for quite some time. It’s a great pedal and it makes sense that it made it into an underrated list. It’s very dynamic so I used it mostly in a mild ish setting to have some grit when I would dig in. I also used it it with my tweed to have the “blowing up” kind of sound without having to crank the amp fully, it would blend nicely with my amp’s drive.

I don’t think it will give a tube sound to your peavey but it may sound more organic, natural and a step closer than just playing into it with say, a tubescreamer. You could also experiment having the hot tubes always on in a mild setting and hitting it with other drives. Also I would experiment having it in the loop and trying amp in a box drives into the amp or the loop. If you’re chasing a particular amp sound, the Catalinbread foundation series are excellent. Tech21 has also many fans. I just got a Vox Mystic Edge that does a good job of giving you a vox sound. You could plug it straight into the return of your amp.
      Should I run it before or after other dirt pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post

Should I run it before or after other dirt pedals?
        You should try both it depends on what you’re after and the other pedals. Think that the last pedal is the one that gives the most color to your sound. So if you have an AIAB kind of pedal you want that last and the tubes before to just give you more dynamics. But if you have a normal od/dist I would have it after to simulate the front end of an amp, giving more dirt as you push it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

You should try both it depends on what you’re after and the other pedals. Think that the last pedal is the one that gives the most color to your sound. So if you have an AIAB kind of pedal you want that last and the tubes before to just give you more dynamics. But if you have a normal od/dist I would have it after to simulate the front end of an amp, giving more dirt as you push it.
          Thanks for the advice! I’ll buy the pedal and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
          X