Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

They sound the same as they ever did.
    Sure - it's a rock classic. But my tastes may have changed, and the amps my pedalboards run through are different now.
    Also, I have & use many different types of ODs these days.
    Am thinking maybe what I didn't like was just that it was so different from the TS I'd used all through the 80s.
    Others who didn't like Rats before seem to be finding a new appreciation for them.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Sure - it's a rock classic. But my tastes may have changed, and the amps my pedalboards run through are different now.
      Am thinking maybe what I didn't like was just that it was so different from the TS I'd used all through the 80s.
      Others who didn't like Rats before seem to be finding a new appreciation for them.
      I've known about the RAT since the 80's in ads in Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine, but I never got one nor did I ever try one - just never clicked with me.

Now a week ago or so I got one (30+ years later), and I'd say the "grind" is what hooked me (when the Distortion knob is used judiciously).

It's got a wonderful grind to it.

You should get one, or at least try one at the local yokel guitar store. They're only $80-ish. Then you'll know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        Now a week ago or so I got one

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

No doubt. I like a lot more things than I used to over the decades too.

But just as a Rat is not a Metal Zone, it isn't a Tube Screamer either. A TS9, a Rat, and a Metal Zone would cover a super wide range of sonic territory.

I don't know that appreciation for them ever stopped though. I have certainly went in and out of Rat phases over the years.

I guess I have three sort of current zones:

The Metal Muff/Metal Mayhem/Metal Zone (rarely) place where I just gots to have the BrOOtUlZZ

The straight ahead rock/metal place: Riot, Rat-Solo, Plexi-drive, SD1M place

The assorted OD/Boosts...SD1's, TS9's, Bad Monkey etc....

Just depends on the mood. They all have a good place. When I want grind I use a Boss HM-2 aka "Mr. Growley"

Comment

Originally posted by LLL
            Now a week ago or so I got one
            That's correct. I got my very first RAT about a week ago, and I'm totally diggin' it.

And here's what I did with it, this time in front of an ADA MP-1:

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
              I'm curious about you RAT users out there, what are your favorite settings? Just wondering, I'm experimenting around the modes looking for a good punk rock sound. Please let me know what version your using. Thanks guys.
              Try backing off the gain to somewhere around 11pm, then use the Level to drive your amp front end (depends on what amp you’re using), then use the filter to dial in for your ears.

I love the PackRat - the TurboRat setting (position 4?) is my current fave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post

Try backing off the gain to somewhere around 11pm, then use the Level to drive your amp front end (depends on what amp you’re using), then use the filter to dial in for your ears.

I love the PackRat - the TurboRat setting (position 4?) is my current fave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                I've so far fell in love with the jhs setting. I find myself keeping the distortion between 9-12 o'clock in every mode. I've been able to dial in a very good sound on each mode so far with minimal tweeking. I was having trouble finding a great sound on the metal zone. This is way easier to use and alot more to my taste but it can get nasty real fast, I keep the distortion under 12 o'clock. I don't regret this purchase at all. Not unlike the metal zone
                It's funny how some stories became historic,
                especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I was having trouble finding a great sound on the metal zone.
                  Next time you're at a bar and the cover band's guitar player hacks and flubs their way through a solo, chuck that Metal Zone at them.

You'll help make the world a better place.

Comment

Next time you're at a bar and the cover band's guitar player hacks and flubs their way through a solo, chuck that Metal Zone at them.

You'll help make the world a better place.
                    It probably would help but I'm at least trying to recover some of my investment. I'm going to need a tuner pedal eventually so I figured I'd ask if there is anyone on here that would trade a Boss TU3 or TU3W for this Boss MT2W? It's brand new and in the box so if anyone would like to trade a used TU3 for this new metal zone waza craft pedal please let me know. Thanks guys.
                    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

It probably would help but I'm at least trying to recover some of my investment. I'm going to need a tuner pedal eventually so I figured I'd ask if there is anyone on here that would trade a Boss TU3 or TU3W for this Boss MT2W? It's brand new and in the box so if anyone would like to trade a used TU3 for this new metal zone waza craft pedal please let me know. Thanks guys.
                      Ah tuners. I'd recommend one of these to anyone and everyone who plays guitar:

Free Domestic Shipping on qualifying orders of Peterson Products and Accessories from the Peterson Tuners online store.

check out the "Sweetened Tunings" section... no more B string outta tune!

Comment

Ah tuners. I'd recommend one of these to anyone and everyone who plays guitar:

Free Domestic Shipping on qualifying orders of Peterson Products and Accessories from the Peterson Tuners online store.

check out the "Sweetened Tunings" section... no more B string outta tune!
                        +1 on the Strobostomp. Weren't they supposed to be coming out with a mini version?
                        Would love to have one on the small board.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Question to the OP: Why did you buy a Metal Zone in the first place?

On the one hand, it is an awesome pedal if you want to do what it does.
                          On the other hand, if that isn't what you want, it is a much maligned pedal, and receives a lot of hate.

Comment

Question to the OP: Why did you buy a Metal Zone in the first place?

On the one hand, it is an awesome pedal if you want to do what it does.
                            On the other hand, if that isn't what you want, it is a much maligned pedal, and receives a lot of hate.
                            To answer your question; I'm obviously new to pedals do I just assumed a "high" gain pedal would be better than a "medium" gain pedal. I don't play metal at all but I was thinking it would make my punk riffs sound more aggressive and then switch it off to play the ska parts on my amp with little to no gain... That was the plan, didn't work. I just couldn't find a sound I was looking for on the metal zone. After doing some reading I now understand I could have done exactly what I wanted without a "high" gain pedal. The packrat is alot better. I can easily find a great sound in every mode. And it will cover everything from overdrive to distortion to fuzz. I since contacted the seller I got the metal zone from and he is going to accept my refund even though it's been a little while, that's good. I will probably buy a tuner pedal with the refund.

Comment

Cool. I get that. Makes sense.

Hey - you gotta start somewhere, and experience is always best won the hard way.

That said - now that you found us, stop in before you buy in the future!

Comment

Cool. I get that. Makes sense.

Hey - you gotta start somewhere, and experience is always best won the hard way.

That said - now that you found us, stop in before you buy in the future!
                                Surely will, hate feeling like complete newb for how long I've been playing but I'm just now getting into the different electronics and could surely use some well guided advice before I start shelling out money for new pedals. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X