Noisy pedal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy pedal question

I just received my boss TU3 and I notice now there is alot of screeching feedback when I'm not playing and this was not present before the TU3 addition. When I unplug the tuner and just go through the packrat there is no feedback but when I have the TU3 connected before the packrat this feedback occurs. Is this normal or is this not supposed to happen? Just trying to figure out if I have a defective pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Do you have them both plugged into the same power supply? Could be that you're getting some digital noise on the power lines. If the noise goes away when you use batteries, this is the problem.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Are you powering the Packrat off the TU-3 9V out or are you powering both off their own connections on a daisy chain? I've seen instances where 9V DC outs on tuners to power other pedals adds noise, especially to those with digital circuitry in them.

Comment

No I'm using the boss power adapter and a Daisy chain powering each pedal separately and using batteries doesn't cure it. Has no one else came across this? Do you guys think boss would give me another pedal?
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

That’s weird. Does this happen when the tuner is the only pedal between the amp and guitar and on battery or DC power? What happens with the tuner after the Packrat?

if it truly is the pedal, I believe they still have a 5 year warranty so yeah, they should honor it.

Comment

Two pedals, both on battery, and it happens? Each individually is fine? Swap the order (on battery for both) is still an issue?

Also, I kind of doubt it’s the boss if you know what I mean.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've only tried the boss on batteries because the packrat doesn't have battery option. Its not as loud after the packrat but still there. I've been reading and I think it's inherent to get some sort of noise with the signal going through a line of pedals. I've only got 2 here but it might be the location, idk. It isn't audible while playing so I'm going to live with it, if it gets worse I'll definitely contact boss.

Ok I just tried putting the boss after the packrat and it solved the problem. Before I tried it the feedback is still there but I didn't mute the bridge. This time when I mute the bridge with my palm the feedback goes away. When the boss is before the packrat even muting the bridge won't stop it. Does anyone know why this is? I guess I just have to put it it a different order when I get more pedals. I really wanted to put the tuner first though... Isn't that where it's "supposed"to go? Is this defective or happening for a reason I can fix?
              Last edited by Mikelamury; 02-19-2022, 06:50 AM.

Comment

You might have too much gain going and the feedback is actually from the Packrat and having the guitar volume up.

You can put the tuner at the end of the chain. I do that to mute the whole pedalboard.

One more thing to do, remove the Packrat from the chain and run guitar to tuner and then to the amp. Does the noise happen? If not, my point about too much gain is it.

Boss pedals have a buffer in them and that buffer at the output might be driving the input of the Packrat just a little more making it want to feed back.

Lastly, what kind of cables are you using? Are they for sure all instrument cables or is one of them possibly something you’re not sure of? I have seen cases where a speaker cable is being used as an instrument cable and that can’t happen and will cause all sorts of noise because it is not insulated like an instrument cable. Vice versa never use an instrument cable as a speaker cable.
                Last edited by ErikH; 02-19-2022, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X