Ringing with pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing with pedal

Hi. I just plugged my fuzz pedal into a new amp of mine. There is a light high pitched ringing when i'm not playing. Cannot notice it when playing. I'm using humbuckers.

Could the high pitched sound damage my amp? Or is it kinda a typical thing?

It's def manageamanageable point where i can ignore it. Just not sure if it could cause long term damage?

Thanks,
    Greg

Gain staging? Try turning the volume level down on the fuzz.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok. I will try tomorrow.

Comment

Fuzzes can be more sensitive to stray EM fields than many other pedals.
        I've encountered a similar issue when a fuzz was near the transformer of an amp.
        In that case simply moving it away solved the problem.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

How is it powered?

If it’s not battery, does it do it when it’s powered by one? A high pitch noise could come from the power supply.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, power supply. Gonna try to turn down the vol on the pedal as dave suggested, later.
            Last edited by Open lane; 02-21-2022, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Iso power supply for the win. Very primitive (Fuzz) and very high tech (all digital) pedals can both suffer from this.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

So it should be ok if i just accept it?

It really doesn't seem like a huge deal, i t's not like a ****load of feedback. Just a high pitched ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                  So it should be ok if i just accept it?

It really doesn't seem like a huge deal, i t's not like a ****load of feedback. Just a high pitched ring.
                  Before accepting it I would try to fix it but it’s your call Ar least figure out the source of the ring, now I’m curious lol

If you try with a battery and there is no noise you could upgrade your power supply to be isolated like Ace said or you could power it with a battery. A fuzz consumes very little current so one may last months if you unplug the pedal or if you put a fake power connector after playing when it’s off.

If it’s gain staging you probably want to fix that anyway because the issue is likely going to happen with other pedals.

Comment

You guys were right. I had retired my iso brick because a prefer the simplicity of wall warts and thought they could be less likely to get damaged. That was the issue, though. Thanks everyone for your help!
                    Last edited by Open lane; 02-21-2022, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks Blille!

Comment

Working...
                      X