Worst pedals ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst pedals ever

A spin-off from the vibrato hate thread.

What are your picks for worst pedals? Please only talk about the stuff you bought or at least demoed or played.

I’ve noticed that some of the classic hated pedals may work well in specific contexts so it would be great to hear about that too.

Bonus points if you add a pic or anecdote.

I’ll start.

Bought one as a gift to a friend back in the day. A few friends pooled some money and we couldn’t afford a Boss. I was in charge of picking it and was more into metal back in the day and he loved Nirvana. I still feel guilty.

The Daddy-O distortion from Danelectro should be on this list. And for a controversial one, I'd nominate the V Twin.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The original MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
        The original MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive
        Really? Isn't that just a pumped-up SD-1?,,,and without being yellow! (my SD-1 is the Steelers version)

Comment

The Ibanez LA Metal pedal. I bought it on name alone. It wasn't hair metal at all. Instead it was a dark and flubby hard clipping circuit that only sounded good when used as a bass overdrive. I only recently found out that it was a RAT clone without clipping diodes and the clipping was op-amp. I gave it away to a bassist friend in 2000.

Comment

Any of the Boss Acoustic Simulators could be on this list, as well as the Spectrum. Maybe the Digitech Edge, too.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Any of the Boss Acoustic Simulators
              YES!

I was super disappointed with the Boss AC-2 I bought. Not even remotely like an acoustic guitar.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My biggest disappointment in a pedal was the MXR DII. I thought because I loved the D+ the DII would be better. It had less gain and no bite. The touch sensitivity was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Really? Isn't that just a pumped-up SD-1?,,,and without being yellow! (my SD-1 is the Steelers version)
                  Might be, I didn't like it

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Yes. It's literally a SD-1 with more low end and slightly more gain.

Comment

My vote goes to the Fulltone Distortion Plus. I thought it would be this wonderful distortion pedal with all the hype around his other pedals. Yeah, no. Major disappointment. Sounded like crap no matter what I did.

The DOD Supra Distortion is close second.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        My vote goes to the Fulltone Distortion Plus. I thought it would be this wonderful distortion pedal with all the hype around his other pedals. Yeah, no. Major disappointment. Sounded like crap no matter what I did.

The DOD Supra Distortion is close second.
                        Which version of the Supra Distortion? The FX55B and FX55C aren't that great. The original FX55 isn't too bad.

The DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz sucks. It has a cocked wah sound that you can't get rid of.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                          Which version of the Supra Distortion? The FX55B and FX55C aren't that great. The original FX55 isn't too bad.
                          I believe the one I had was the FX55B. My wife found it cheap at a pawn shop. I didn't keep it long.

Comment

MXR Distortion + UNTIL I modified it to remove the nasally tone at high distortion settings, then it became a GREAT pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                              MXR Distortion + UNTIL I modified it to remove the nasally tone at high distortion settings, then it became a GREAT pedal.

Comment

Working...
                              X