NPD - Send in the clones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - Send in the clones!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image000000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	6160067

New Pedals Day. I bought the majority of these clones over the last week. All of them were under $25. Since they were cheap I'm going to thin the heard soon because a number of them are similar.

From top left to bottom right:
    Asmuse Ultimate Drive - Fulltone OCD clone - I modded this pedal by adding a 1N4148 diode and new input capacitor. It is clearly the best of the bunch.
    Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz - Boss FZ-2 clone - This pedal is surprisingly good! I like the first Fuzz position and the 3rd boost position. It doesn't like active pickups much but it isn't picky where you put it in the chain.
    Dolamo Vintage Distortion - Proco Rat clone with multi-mode switch - It doesn't like active pickups and it hasn't found its niche yet. It might work better with lower output passive pickups. I wouldn't miss it much.
    CoolMusic Fuzzster - ??? - This one is hard to peg? It's not really a fuzz, distortion, or overdrive. The controls are strange but it also has a unique sound which may be useful.
    Joyo Wild Boost - Xotic RC boost - A decent half-dirty boost that almost sounds like a fuzz at higher settings. The boost function on the SF300 is better so this may become surplus.
    Kokko Overdrive - Ibanez Tube Screamer clone - It does what it's supposed to do but it might end up replaced.
    Staxx Dumbler - Zendrive clone? - Not bad but I'm not sure it has a niche? It seems to inhabit the same space as the Solo.
    Mooer Solo - Suhr Riot - The Ultimate Drive is better but the Solo is good enough to keep even though it may not have a strong niche.
    Rowin Holy War - EHX Mini Metal Muff clone - Too bright and loud for my tastes. It hates active pickups and I can't imagine what I could use it for?
    Mosky Golden Horse - Klon Centaur clone - More transparent than the Tube Screamer and with a wider range of tones. It doesn't have that Tube Screamer nasal midrange hump or lack of bass. The Tube Screamer may end up replaced.
    Mosky D250X - Dod 250/MXR Dist+ clone - It's more of a booster than overdrive or distortion and I could see this replacing the Wild Boost.
    Rowin Booster - ??? - It's cleaner and has a wider sonic range than the Wild Boost. But the SF300's boost setting is it's equal. The advantage of this one is it likes active pickups and the SF300 doesn't.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-23-2022, 05:29 PM.

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
    That Behringer is a fuzz that even I can get to sound good, which is saying a lot.
    I'm going to buy a multi-position rotary switch so I can switch between different diodes for the SF300. I like it enough that I'm thinking it might make a good tweaker.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Fun times!!!! I have a couple of those, and know of a few of them.
        Whip up some mini boards. and a loop to an existing board, or just play with the flavors.

Can't believe you don't like the Solo on tight mode. Sounds pretty dang close to my actual Riot.
        Try the Mosky into the Rat clone!
        Use the Xotic clone after the Riot for lead boosts
        Put the Kokko into the 250
        SF300 - works fine the way it is.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have the Mosky Golden Horse, great pedal with lots of great applications. Great cranked as an overdrive, nice as a boost and pushes tubes very well.

Comment

I had some time to try out the Rowin Holy War and Coolmusic Fuzzster today with a 335 with passive pickups. The Rowin Holy War likes passives better but it's nothing I would consider usable.

The Fuzzster is amazingly versatile but the controls take some getting used to. If you're not a fuzz fan and you want some mild fuzz flavor without sacrificing clarity this is a great pedal with its clean mix control. It isn't noisy, it's easily controllable, and it doesn't destroy your tone.

The Dolamo Vintage Distortion also works a lot better with passive pickups. It does emulate a Rat pretty well but on the SOLO.R setting the distortion knob becomes mush past 12 o clock. TURBO.R becomes mush past 3. NORMAL.R is usable across its entire range. Each of the three settings have their own flavor.

I tried the Mosky D250X today and I was surprised that once you get it past 3 o clock it turns into a really good Neil Young Ragged Glory tone. When in the MXR mode with Germanium diode clipping it does a great cranked tweed tone. I wonder if it had a Schottky diode if it wouldn't be even looser sounding?
            Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-24-2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X