NPDx6 redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPDx6 redux

I never planned to spend months without looking at the forum, but life has a way of getting in the way of the best laid plans. For a while toward the end of last year it was difficult to find time or even motivation to play, but finally getting some long-delayed work done on a few of my primary players has really helped. In the meantime, I'm sure I've said it before but in case I haven't, GAS never rests. I may have taken a break from the forum, but I definitely did not take a break from my pedal habit, and that's why people are viewing this, right?

Made By Mike Dream Box
    I've wanted one of these for years, and found a great deal on Reverb last fall. The left side is the nastiest sounding IC Big Muff I've ever heard (with a mid control in place of the tone switch I never use), while the right side is an MXR Distortion II modified to run on 9vDC instead of the AC cord the original had. As the name indicates it's essentially the Siamese Dream guitar sound in a box; left side for rhythm, and both cascaded with a subtle phase and flange added for the leads. The Smashing Pumpkins sound is fun, but will it do Gilmour? It turns out that it does; the secret is to think of it as a Fuzzface on steroids, run the sustain a lot lower than you'd think, and cascade it into an overdrive (like the BD-2W) set for some mild breakup into a clean amp. It'll do a ton of other sounds too, including some you'd never think of as Big Muff with the mids rolled up a bit. Classic Muff tones require turning the mids 'off'.

Fulltone '69mkII
    It's a germanium Fuzzface with added 9v (center positive) power in addition to mid contour and input impedance controls. Both of the small knobs fully clockwise is 'stock' Fuzzface. I've never tried it battery-powered, but I imagine that would probably sound better. Even when run on DC it sounds plenty good enough with my Strat through my Egnater Tweaker with any of the three tone stacks. My personal favorites are with the Fender setting; either with a bit of breakup, or clean and cascaded with the BD-2W.

BOSS MT-2W Waza Craft Metal Zone
    Really? A BOSS Metal Zone? I count myself among those that couldn't take this pedal remotely seriously back in the day. That started to change when I happened to catch a Sister Machine Gun show in maybe 2004 at the Warehouse in La Crosse, WI. It turns out that a Parker Fly, Metal Zone, and Silverface Twin make a pretty badaxx industrial tone. Fast forward another 15 or so years and I hear Pete Thorn demo this thing. I know he can make a wet cardboard guitar with rubber band strings sound good, but I was impressed none the less. Since I bought it, it's become a favorite for tracking heavy rhythm guitars. Compared to a standard MT-2 it's far less noisy, and the 'custom' tone stack is nice if stock mode cuts too much low end.

BOSS BD-2W Waza Craft Blues Driver
    I bought this after a pedal addict friend mentioned that it's his favorite OD pedal. I'd also seen it recommended by both Kitrae and Gilmourish as a low cost way to achieve Gilmour-esque lead tones when stacked with a fuzz. I don't particularly care for the stock version, and I've yet to find a sound I really like when using only this pedal. OTOH it stacks great with a Tube Screamer, the '69 or the Dream Box.

Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe
    I originally bought this strictly for recording, but it sounded so good that it replaced the black label BOSS CE-3 in my main rig. I run it in parallel with some pretty aggressive settings that end up highlighting arpeggios without getting in the way of the rest of my playing the way the CE-3 can.

BOSS CE-2W Waza Craft Chorus
    I bought this mainly to avoid taking my 'unicorn' vintage CE-2 out of the house anymore. It doesn't sound exactly the same, but the buffer is substantially better and the slightly brighter voicing tends to work better for playing live. In terms of overall tone it's about 85-90% there, with the added bonus of Waza CE-2s being consistent if this one ever dies or otherwise disappears.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Nice collection.

What does the S-CE-1 switch do on the CE-2w?

A Waza Craft Metal Zone? I think there was just a crack in the universe. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Nice collection.

What does the S-CE-1 switch do on the CE-2w?
      It's actually a 3-way switch. The 'S' setting I use is the standard CE-2 sound, while the other two positions are for the CE-1 Chorus and Vibrato modes. I don't really use them and I've never played an original CE-1, so I can't comment much beyond 'they work'.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      A Waza Craft Metal Zone? I think there was just a crack in the universe. ;-)

And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Very cool. Been meaning to try that Waza Metal Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          . I don't really use them and I've never played an original CE-1, so I can't comment much beyond 'they work'.
          The CE - 1 is the chorus Roland/BOSS modeled for the JC 120. A good audio reference point is Prine's tone at the beginning of Purple Rain or anything by The Police.

Comment

Fulltone '69mkII
            Both of the small knobs fully clockwise is 'stock' Fuzzface.
            Just realized I got this wrong yesterday...

The stock Fuzzface setting is with input fully clockwise, but contour needs to be fully counter-clockwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
              The Waza Metal Zone is pretty cool. I find it more expressive and amp-like than the standard, in addition to being less noisy and a little less gritty. I would buy a boutique clone of this and think it was the greatest thing ever.
              +1

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
              Very cool. Been meaning to try that Waza Metal Zone.
              Pigbacon got it right. Prior to owning the MT-2W, my go-to for heavy rhythm tones was either a solid state amp or my modded Jet City 22. The Waza Metal Zone gives me the amp-like feel of the Jet City while retaining the tightness and super fast response of the SS amp it essentially replaced. I've yet to try running it direct with an IR, but I imagine that would work great as well.

Comment

i was about to say you have the contour setting backwards but, you corrected yourself. i have a 69 mkii and i like it a lot. input is fully clockwise but contour is in the middle some where. helps it cut through the mix in a way a true ff circuit typically doesnt.

thems a lot of fun toys! enjoy

Comment

BOSS BD-2W Waza Craft Blues Driver
                  I bought this after a pedal addict friend mentioned that it's his favorite OD pedal. I'd also seen it recommended by both Kitrae and Gilmourish as a low cost way to achieve Gilmour-esque lead tones when stacked with a fuzz. I don't particularly care for the stock version, and I've yet to find a sound I really like when using only this pedal. OTOH it stacks great with a Tube Screamer, the '69 or the Dream Box.
                  The BD-2 likes a mid rangey amp. If you're using a blackface Fender style rig, then it'll work well as a boost/light overdrive but it can be tricky to get the higher gain settings (around 2-3 o'clock on the gain knob) to play nice. Custom mode should have a little bit more lower mids which can help a bit.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Good to see you and nice collection

I’m particularly envious of the Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

The BD-2 likes a mid rangey amp. If you're using a blackface Fender style rig, then it'll work well as a boost/light overdrive but it can be tricky to get the higher gain settings (around 2-3 o'clock on the gain knob) to play nice. Custom mode should have a little bit more lower mids which can help a bit.
                      I agree. The BD-2 makes a great booster for my Rectifier's vintage mode. It adds that sting to the highs that really set it off.

Comment

Working...
                      X