Compressor, flanger, limiter. . , ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I can use a phaser as well, which is nore preferable to me anyway. But it would stilll be in the same place on the signal chain wouldn't it be?

I guess what Im really asking is where to put the compressor and the limiter. My insticts tell me compressor first and limiter last.
    I'd look at it like this personally:
    • If you are using the compressor to get that punchy sound, create sustain or smooth your erratic playing and make your effects and pre amp better positioned to handle your playing -put it first
    • If you are using the compressor to clean up your playing and/or maybe add some compressor punchy feel to your tone and get a a little studio finalized track feel put it first in FX loop
    • If you are using the Compresssor/Limiter as a limiter just to knock off the transients and clean up the performance in a finalized studio feel put at the end of the FX loop.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-25-2022, 08:21 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
      What order?
      If you read some advice prior to this thread, it seems pedal order doesn't matter, just do whatever.

So, what I'd do is take the pedals I wanted to use... in my hands... and toss them behind my back.

The order in which the pedals wind up lying on the floor is the order you should use.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

• If you are using the compressor to get that punchy sound, create sustain or smooth your erratic playing and make your effects and pre amp better positioned to handle your playing -put it first
        • If you are using the compressor to clean up your playing and/or maybe add some compressor punchy feel to your tone and get a a little studio finalized track feel put it first in FX loop
        • If you are using the Compresssor/Limiter as a limiter just to knock off the transients and clean up the performance in a finalized studio feel put at the end of the FX loop.
        I'd put the limiter first because it like, limits things and stuff. Don't want things getting out of hand and all crazy-like.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I'd put the limiter first because it like, limits things and stuff. Don't want things getting out of hand and all crazy-like.

Yeah, thats what I meant by taming erratic playing in the first bullet
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yep

Comment

If you read some advice prior to this thread, it seems pedal order doesn't matter, just do whatever.

So, what I'd do is take the pedals I wanted to use... in my hands... and toss them behind my back.

The order in which the pedals wind up lying on the floor is the order you should use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This is how I discovered my secret tone -heavy reverb into distortion....

Comment

Working...
                X