Distortion and Overdrive pedals through effects loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion and Overdrive pedals through effects loop

Anyone ever hook up their dirt pedals through an effects loop? Good results? I never do. They always sound better straight into the amp for me. Delay and Chorus that's another story, although most chorus pedals I do prefer straight into the amp. The effects loop is nice to have but I can live without it.

Yes, In fact thats where full features drives with pre and post amp tone sculpting options sound best.

Example -Origin Revival Drive sounds absolutely incredible in the loop
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

We could be talking about two separate things here.
      1. Going within the loop. From amp's send into effects and then back into amp's return.
      2. Going from preamp/distortion unit straight into the effect's return, thereby bypassing the amp's entire preamp section.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        We could be talking about two separate things here.
        1. Going within the loop. From amp's send into effects and then back into amp's return.
        2. Going from preamp/distortion unit straight into the effect's return, thereby bypassing the amp's entire preamp section.
        Yeah I was talking about going within the loop.

Going straight into effects return bypassing the entire preamp is a totally different beast with distortion pedals. Tried that with a Metal Zone and was impressed. Also I run my Mesa Throttlebox like that sometimes and it sounds great.

Comment

Always make sure your volume is all the down on your distortion pedal when going straight into return on your amp. I forgot once and hooked everything up and I turned the pedal on and the volume on the pedal was all the way up

Comment

There is a whole host of newer preamp pedals (like the Palladium) that are designed to replace the preamp of an amp.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              There is a whole host of newer preamp pedals (like the Palladium) that are designed to replace the preamp of an amp.
              Yep just haven't tried any yet. This one looks interesting...

Click image for larger version

Name:	VH4Pedal-large.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6178660

Comment

Working...
              X