BK Butler Tube OD's....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK Butler Tube OD's....?

Greetings,,, Always wanted one, but was never a priority, nor is it pressing right now, but which of his pedals is the sweetest, buzz free models,, & not necessarily the most rare, but that kinda 'dirty is fun to know too...

There's one w/3, 4, or 5 controls, & I want 'that' violin sound, or something close.

Thank in advance,

I've never seen a 3-knob Tube Driver, but I'm familiar with the 4 and 5-knob versions. Appearances and apparent specs aside, the 4 and 5-knob don't sound at all similar. The 5-knob Real Tube sounds closer to a BOSS DS-1 than an overdrive pedal. It's possible to dial in A LOT of distortion, the high end is quite aggressive and sharp, and the pedal feels "hard" rather than "squishy". The 4-knob OTOH is the one for the David Gilmour / Eric Johnson tones. The biggest takeaways IMO were that the pedal is really loud, and the EQ was a lot less powerful than you'd expect compared to many of the OD options available now. The wall wart is also really impractical for a pedal that doesn't sound all that great in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly you're probably better off with the Hermida/Lovepedal Dover Drive. It's good enough for Eric Johnson's fly rig and a lot more practical.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I had the white one for a while. It was "meh". If you're doing OD pedal stacking, sure, it can be handy, but there are better options out there.

Comment

I have the rack version it is my holy grail. It makes every amp sound glorious. I have used it in front of an amp and as a true preamp with a power amp. As a preamp, it is very Marshallesque the rack has a CONTURE and BIAS control, the EQ is very malleable there is a huge range of tones available including the violin-like tone you are looking for. I bought mine used for $105 in the late 80's. They are going for silly money these days on the secondary market. If you are patient and shop around I have seen some going for $200 - $250 but that is rare and you have to jump on them when you see them going that cheap. The GAIN in these things is crazy. I had mine in front of a JC-120 with my thrash band. You can go from a gentle break-up to full-on metal with these units.

Comment

Working...
        X