Compression Pedal Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Pedal Suggestions

The compression tone/response I love is the MXR Dyna Comp. The issue I have is that it gets noisy...enough that it makes me look elsewhere. I have tried a Custom Comp that was not noisy but did not have the same feel and snap that I liked from the Dyna Comp.

The Keeley did not get me there either--and I know those have a high standard for guitarists. I currently am using a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold but that's for the singing drive that it gives than the clean compression. Mainly run through Fender Tube Amps (Hot Rod and Bassbreaker series) but also a Yamaha THR100HD.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sure!

Do you want recommendations for Dyna Comp/Ross pedals or you’re open to other kinds?

Check here for an overview of the different kinds: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/comptypes.shtml Tell us a bit more about what you like/ how you want to use it.

Last edited by Blille; 08-02-2022, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I just want to throw the warning out there; With compression, comes noise.

What exactly are you doing with the compressor?
      - Squashing Attack?
      - Boosting Sustain?

If it is mostly attack squashing , any THREE knob comp will probably get you there. Set sustain low (the source of boosted volume and noise) set the Attack fast/low/whatever for squashing attack, and there you go. Add level to taste.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Until recently, I had never really used a compressor for electric guitar. The ones I had tried in the past were all pretty disappointing in one way or another.

Last week I picked up a used, Homebrew Electronics CPR Mini for around $50.00. It is based on the Ross circuit and I have to say, it really changed my opinion on compressors.

It doesn't add much noise and it doesn't mess with the tone of your guitar and amp. More than anything, it makes your guitar FEEL better. This is exactly what I had been missing and I find myself not wanting to turn it off.

The CPR, or ComPressor Retro, as it is actually named, can be found for cheap on the used market and they sound terrific.

Comment

Wanna build something? The BYOC 5 Knob Comp is one hell of a compressor, able to do serious squishing or be as transparent as you want.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have you considered that what you need might actually be a noise gate?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

A compression pedal raises the noise floor and quieter audio by definition, but it takes a more expensive compressor with a very low noise floor to run very clean at unity gain or above (equal input and output level after compression applied). Typically compressor below 120-150 dollars will get noisy trying to run at perfect unity because of the inherit S/N ratio -it's not that they are not awesome compressors, it's just the nature of the kinds of design, circuits, op amps and buffers you need to run a super clean signal to noise ratio requires more expense.

I recommend if you are having noise issues, to back off the sensitivity and or especially the output knob (Make up gain) on the MXR and boost the level at a later pedal stage to or on your amp instead to better manage the signal to noise ratio of your entire signal chain

That MXR is a great simple compression pedal, but if run aggressively (heavy compression or unity or above output) it will be noisy.

If you decide you want to step up levels:

Boss CP, Keeley 4 knob, and Wampler Ego are great mid range pedal if you want better cleaner control of the compression envelope and run at Unity.

and if you want studio grade compression -go Greer Lamplighter or Origin Cali76 (pretty much the top of the line)
              Last edited by NegativeEase; 08-04-2022, 12:24 PM.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What did you not like about the Keeley? What's your goal? The blend knob on the Keeley is such a great feature to have. The pedal can be on but it may not feel like it's on.
                As mentioned, with compression comes some noise depending on your gain structure so playing with the settings to find the sweet spot for you takes a little time.

Comment

I love the original full-size Philosopher's Tone.

Comment

I've been looking for a good compressor pedal aswell.

My Carlsbro Sherwood 60R "acoustic" combo amplfier, has a "Comp" button on the instrument channel; which has made me "addicted" to that chewy, slightly coloured compression. But my other amps doesn't have a compressor built in :/.

I like the "blend" function that many newer units have; where you can seamlessly adjust the dry/wet signal mix. .

Too bad we only have 1!! (lol) real existing guitar store left in North Norway... so trying before buying is hard :/. I think the Fender "the bends" pedal seems nice, (from specs and pics),
                    -but I don't know :/.

... I'd like "my" compressor to work for bass guitar too.
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I like the Boss CS-2 and the Digitech. Stops volume drop between pickups, keeps the signal very intact and keeps my cleans clean, then I kick it off if I want extra spank and grit.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I use Diamond Comp Jr. It allows for subtle comp nicely and has useful EQ. I'd say it's not squishy and more subtle than Keeley's.

Comment

Lots of great information and good questions here–work and school delayed me giving proper responses to everyone--thank you for all of the great posts!

The Keeley sounded too sterile as did trying to use a noise gate (granted, I am by no means an audio tech expert.)

Probably just need to practice on playing cleaner

There's been some great suggestions that I will check out–the Pigtronix Germanium Gold is staying on the board for sure (this pedal kinda reminds me of the MP Golden Cello.)

Comment

I like the Xotic SP compressor - it's based on the Ross circuit which was an evolution of the Dynacomp if I remember my pedal history correctly. It's reasonable in the noise department (although does get noisy at high settings) and with the blend is very adjustable to how much squash and how much original guitar attack you let through. Might be worth checking out.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm surprised that you think the Keeley's sterile. I think of it more as transparent. I could easily have it as an always on pedal. I especially like the way it sounds with the true singles in my Squire Strat.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X