NPD Little Robbie Pilot for HX Stomp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Little Robbie Pilot for HX Stomp

Got a cute ultra simple controller for my HX Stomp.

The little guy on the right let’s you choose between the three snapshots in the stomp and do tap tempo / tuner.

The design is smart, the top row footswitches are significantly taller that those in the bottom row.

So this is my pedalboard these days it’s supposed to be modular (adding a second nano for added flexibility) but I’m not in a rush to expand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Blille; 08-06-2022, 07:46 PM.

Originally posted by Blille View Post
    The design is smart, the top row footswitches are significantly taller that those in the bottom row
    That is pretty smart! I’ll have to remember that. I take it you plug into FS 4/5, Does it cut down on tap-dancing? When you say modular, what could you add later? Is it compatible with other devices?
    Last edited by El Dunco; 08-07-2022, 12:06 AM.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
      That is pretty smart! I’ll have to remember that. I take it you plug into FS 4/5, Does it cut down on tap-dancing? When you say modular, what could you add later? Is it compatible with other devices?
      It is, right?

This is a midi device so it goes into the midi in. Unfortunately not compatible with other stuff. The same person did one for the Stomp XL but that’s it. I was using a switch with FS4/5 before and it was pretty good but this simplifies things further.

When I said modular I meant the pedalboard. My initial idea was to have a second pedalboard that I could add to have more flexibility for some gigs. It would be powered from the first one and the connections are pretty straightforward.

In it I have two always on compressors (beginning and end of chain), my favorite OD that is midi compatible so I would control from the Stomp, a phaser and a DI. But now I’m realizing I’m not running out of DSP or blocks in the Helix.

Comment

Oh, I see. Very cool. I didn’t know the HX-Stomp had MIDI. Always bothered me that as versatile as the Digitech RP1000 is with the amp and stomp loops, some models that actually hold up well even today and absolutely amazing effects, for being a floor-mount GSP-1101, it doesn’t have any MIDI. I’ve figured out a passable fly-rig with it regardless but it would be nice if there were a way to mod in or adapt MIDI connectivity or at least accept outside IRs like the GSP does.

I would have been tempted to just get a GSP if it wasn’t discontinued, kind of outdated and defeating the purpose of a flyrig, being rackmount. For now my custom built Cornhole OD into a pedal pre (like the amazing Kraken preamp or the many preamps from Mooer and AMT if I need to go smaller) to even the very useable sound I got from its Mesa Mark IV model into just about any backline FX return cuts down on so much freight when I have to fly.

I’ll always love my full size, all tube stacks in the studio and occasionally shows more local to me (even then I like to mitigate risk of theft and damage as much as I can since thefts have been on the rise) but for most shows, coherent tone with as much economy of space always works best for me, not to mention how much setup time it saves. I can carry an entire rig minus the cabinet including a 200watt Class D amplifier just in my guitar case and pedalboard. However, my board is three times the size of yours and it would be nice to have it more compact.

I’m very interested in seeing where you go with the board and the units on the market with amp loops AND Midi like the Mooer GE have me very interested in your MIDI controller. How do you make your stomps MIDI compatible without a patchbay?
        Last edited by El Dunco; 08-07-2022, 09:27 AM.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          Oh, I see. Very cool. I didn’t know the HX-Stomp had MIDI. Always bothered me that as versatile as the Digitech RP1000 is with the amp and stomp loops, some models that actually hold up well even today and absolutely amazing effects, for being a floor-mount GSP-1101, it doesn’t have any MIDI. I’ve figured out a passable fly-rig with it regardless but it would be nice if there were a way to mod in or adapt MIDI connectivity or at least accept outside IRs like the GSP does.

I would have been tempted to just get a GSP if it wasn’t discontinued, kind of outdated and defeating the purpose of a flyrig, being rackmount. For now my custom built Cornhole OD into a pedal pre (like the amazing Kraken preamp or the many preamps from Mooer and AMT if I need to go smaller) to even the very useable sound I got from its Mesa Mark IV model into just about any backline FX return cuts down on so much freight when I have to fly.
          I hear you. The choice of potential fly rigs these days is remarkable. I think it’s hard to go wrong with the Stomp and a couple of pedals. AMT does great stuff as well and I’ve never used a Mooer but folks seem to really like them.

I’ll always love my full size, all tube stacks in the studio and occasionally shows more local to me (even then I like to mitigate risk of theft and damage as much as I can since thefts have been on the rise) but for most shows, coherent tone with as much economy of space always works best for me, not to mention how much setup time it saves. I can carry an entire rig minus the cabinet including a 200watt Class D amplifier just in my guitar case and pedalboard. However, my board is three times the size of yours and it would be nice to have it more compact.

I’m very interested in seeing where you go with the board and the units on the market with amp loops AND Midi like the Mooer GE have me very interested in your MIDI controller. How do you make your stomps MIDI compatible without a patchbay?
          Playing through an amp in general and a stack in particular is awesome. But a bit of a hassle to move around

I no longer really gig (I do play CCM weekly in my church though) and I first went to small tube amps with a full pedalboard, then a pedalboard with amp sim and now this tiny thing. After being a non believer I think some models are remarkably close and the ODs as well.

There are not a lot of ODs that are controllable via midi but this one in particular is. It’s the Jackson Audio Golden Boy, a bluesbreaker like pedal. The difference is that it does midi via a 1/4 cable. Other folks like Chase Bliss or Meris do it too. You just need a midi to 1/4 cable. https://jackson.audio/products/goldenboy/

Another one would be the Dirt Clod that [mention]Securb [/mention] sings praises of. https://decibel11.com/product/decibe...tortion-pedal/

Disaster area does great controllers with small footprint. They are also very responsive so they can help you with what you’re interested in https://www.disasterareadesigns.com/shop/

Comment

Oh man, if I got the Dirt Clod, I could have a rhythm setting with my JVM OD orange (which has MIDI in/out) a different setting with higher saturation setting that kicks in with the second master volume and then bypass while on the clean channel (and literally anything else) with something like an Ocean Machine (which has MIDI) for my ambient effects. Everything would fit on less than two rows on a standard-small pedalboard and I wouldn’t even need to reach any of them but the MIDI controller!

The only downside is the 100 watt tube head with MIDI is the only rig it makes any sense with, which doesn’t exactly “fly” but it it can come out to play on any show within 1 or 2 state’s distance. It’s on special too… So tempting. Would make things a lot easier only having to worry about a few small profile MIDI changer and my sample trigger pedal right next to each other.

More pedal companies really ought to get on board with this. The tech has existed for a long time.

Comment

Working...
            X