Finally, the DS-1W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, the DS-1W

DS-1W: Distortion - The Classic BOSS Distortion, Enhanced with Waza Craftsmanship

By the description of it, I'd be willing to bet the "Custom" mode is simply changing the corner frequencies of the tone control
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I listened to Paul's review (the studio rats) and it makes a big difference, but yeah, something like that porbably. FWIW, I'm not buying one, just seems like they put off waza'ing the DS-1 for a long time when the SD-1 was one of the first. I do my own pedal mods so I like being able to pick up the cheap thru hole ones.

IMHO, the cool thing would be to reissue the original version of the DS-1, but the original Toshiba chip is OOP (although still available some places). It was a totally different circuit and sounding sooo much better. The modern ones can't even be modded to sound the same, maybe close, but not the same.

Comment

I always thought the DS-2 was the “better DS-1”.

Comment

Yeah maybe... Just meant the thread as a PSA.

I never considered the DS-1 the "best" distortion out there, but works great for certain things and they were like $39 new and $25 used not long ago. They make great boosters for already cranked amps. I wouldn't pay $150 for the Waza version of it or the SD-1, but a lot of people have and swear by the SD-1w.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            IMHO, the cool thing would be to reissue the original version of the DS-1, but the original Toshiba chip is OOP (although still available some places). It was a totally different circuit and sounding sooo much better. The modern ones can't even be modded to sound the same, maybe close, but not the same.
            I agree 1000% with this. There has to be a chip out there with very close properties to that Toshiba chip. I remember borrowing a friend's DS-1 when I first started playing. Then later on in the 90's I got one and was like, WTF? It sounded nothing like that other one.

Comment

Go to any coffee shop across the street from Berklee they give free refills and a DS1 to every customer. Seriously, the last time I was over there the music store across the street had at least a dozen of them used labeled at $19

Comment

Working...
              X