How to diagnose wah problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to diagnose wah problem?

Howdy fellas, I got a used Crybaby From Hell for real cheap that appears to be having an issue. When I turn it on it behaves as a stuck wah, and using the foot pedal has no effect. All 6 positions of the rotary switch make it sound different, so I know the inductor works fine. However, the fine adjustment and q knobs don't effect the sound. I haven't played around with it too much yet, but that's the best I can describe what's going on.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Sounds like bad pots

Comment

That's what I thought. How can I tell for sure? Must I dissemble the whole unit or is there an easier way?
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I am not sure what the inside of the unit looks like but you should be able to check the pot with a multimeter without taking it apart to see if the value changes when the pedal rocks.

Last edited by Securb; 10-07-2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

The CFH has one of those funny "Hot Pots" or whatever and it looks like it would be a pain to replace them with a conventional pot and the part is $20. Is there a similar 100k pot (with the lugs at the bottom) for cheaper

Also looking at it now, it looks imma have to disassemble the whole thing to get a good look at it

Comment

That sucks man. If you got it super cheap, it may be good practice trying to fix it. Still, I can imagine your disappointment.

Comment

I love my Crybaby From Hell, it's been rock solid for me for over a decade now!

Definitely sounds like the main pot isn't changing value when used but that may not be too tricky a repair. At one point I did have to replace the second switchable input jack, which was a PITA. But IIRC the pot isn't too hard to get at.

Pop off the back cover and hopefully it's not too tricky to swap out

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                I love my Crybaby From Hell, it's been rock solid for me for over a decade now!

Definitely sounds like the main pot isn't changing value when used but that may not be too tricky a repair. At one point I did have to replace the second switchable input jack, which was a PITA. But IIRC the pot isn't too hard to get at.

Pop off the back cover and hopefully it's not too tricky to swap out

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk
                It actually is somewhat tricky. I think I may send it into my tech as he owes me one, and I couldn't be bothered to do it myself because I've got a few things higher on my list of priorities to do in my free time.

Comment

Working...
                X