POD Go "Live" Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD Go "Live" Drive

So I took the POD Go to a gig last night. All in all, very successful, but not without a hiccup or two.

The Good:
    1. Sounded great. I have two main "Classic Rock" settings - a Soldano SLO 100 Crunch channel and a Marshall JCM800. Both with OD's pushing the front.
    2. The Pedal mode worked great. I was able to arrange my usual batter of my favorites Delay, Chorus, and Reverb settings for easy access. Color scheme is a great thing; Green = delay, Orange is reverb, etc...
    3. Lead boost - I used a graphic EQ with a +4db increase and the rest flat. I may tweak frequencies a little later.
    4. Set up was super easy, everything fast and clean. I used my wedge for a test until PA guy showed up.
    5. Liked the Wah available all the time. Didn't use volume, but might in the future. Could set the volume for a min/max for leads also...

The OK:
    1. The Wah on/off thing was a little kinky for me. Had a couple situations where I was playing with the Wah on toe down that I didn't want. Noticed quickly, and was able just step and be back to to correct. I'll lean to look for that / Wah off quickly.
    2. I still used my Digitech Pitchfork and EHX9...might be better sounds somewhere or ways to lower 1/2 step or make synth noises, but I haven't found them yet.

The Bad:
    1. I hit an "unassigned loop" button and killed my sound because loop went "nowhere." It was not a bad show deal, since me and other guitar player doing the same thing. I may just need to reassign, or watch that now that I know it can happen.

Here was the "Main" thing I didn't like. When going from bank to bank....
    a) Press bank up (or down)
    b) The four visible patch names in the new bank start flashing
    - You haven't changed sounds yet, until you select one.

The text is small, and it flashes. This made it really hard to see what the four presets were. Now, since I had three that handled 90%, and a couple of specific ones, it wasn't too hard to get around. Still nice clean readout names would be nice. Maybe I can change that, but as of now...I don't know how.

All in all, very satisfied,
    Last edited by Aceman; 12-04-2022, 08:41 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Memorizing location, rather than reading small LCDs is probably a better bet. On my HX Effects, I do use general pitch shifter to play one song 1/2 step down, and it works well. I also bet you can replicate your synth sound you need with it. There are some creative synths in there.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, this thing is so slickly arranged that I suspect I'll be able to get away with maybe 8 presets for everything, so memorization won't be a big deal.

And I haven't even used snapshots yet...

Crafting Synth noises will be a low priority - my Synth9 pedal is awesome.

Comment

Snapshots are great if you have to switch on multiple effects at the same time. I use them a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Snapshots are great if you have to switch on multiple effects at the same time. I use them a lot.
          I use lead boost/delay quite a bit...

Comment

Yeah, so just set up the snapshot with all of the effects you want on at that time, and just hit one button to make that happen.

Comment

I'm usually not a fan of 8 different ways to do the same thing in software apps...

But I love this thing. I'll settle on something that works for me.

Comment

The one thing I really like Snapshots for is the ability to toggle between different parameters on the same effects. I have some set up for my bass with different compression and EQ settings so I can go back and forth between a pretty full-bore gritty main tone, a fat sub-bass kind of thing with no high end, and a clear clean tone that hits both the compression model and the front of the amp less hard. But I found through trial and error that I didn't like switching between Snapshot and Stomp mode in-song, and there are some things that require me to be in Stomp mode - for instance, momentary switches for pitch bends and self-oscillating delay swells - so I pretty much plan my setup around Stomp mode and assign multiple effects to one controller as needed - OD in front of the amp and delay in the effects loop for a lead tone, or turning on reverb when I go to the clean channel on my guitar amp, that kind of thing.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

This thing can do "momentary switches" ??? That RULES for the Flanger in Down Boys!

Comment

Well, argh. At least the HX Effects works that way. I'm not sure whether the Pod GO gives you the option to toggle between a latching and momentary switch... don't wanna get your hopes up. Sorry.
                    Take it to the limit
                    Everybody to the limit
                    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Working...
                    X