banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run a 12v pedal with a 9v power source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run a 12v pedal with a 9v power source?

I mean, I know I can...I just did. But what could go wrong here? Besides distortion form not enough head room.

I guess should I is the question. I know 9v with a 12v is a no-no...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Yes, but it might sound different. Some pedals sound good power starved and others don't. Fuzz pedals can produce a nice loose ratty sound when power starved.

Comment

Actually a lot of old boss pedals required 12v because the internals would step it down to 9v, so if you plug a 9v cable in it they usually would sound bad.

Nothing gonna go kablooie though
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I have starved dirt boxes that sounded okay - good, modulation starved usually has sound artifacts or chirps that are distracting at best.

Comment

I was just worried about potential "straining hard" to get the juice issues. Which, I couldn't imagine how that would be a damaging thing...

I found a 12v that worked. Had a cheap 12v Chinese one that didn't, so I tried a 9v - it worked perfectly.

Also found a 12v T-rex adapter that worked fine. I guess I have options now.

Comment

Lower voltage might not sound right but it is safe and won't break anything. Higher voltage and you run the risk of releasing the magic black smoke from components.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Milliamps matter as much as the volts

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Milliamps matter as much as the volts
                Not really. Not enough and the pedal won't turn on/function correctly. Too much and the pedal only grabs what it needs and will work perfectly - no harm done. You're good either way.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If it's on a daisy with at least one regular 9v pedal it will run properly.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Not really. Not enough and the pedal won't turn on/function correctly. Too much and the pedal only grabs what it needs and will work perfectly - no harm done. You're good either way.
                    Yeah, so if you don't have enough it won't work. That's why milliamps matter as much as volts.

Comment

It was just a weird situation. Never tried to run anything on too little juice (except dead batteries) in all my years.

Comment

Can I run a 9v pedal on 12v?

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                          Depends on the pedal.

Unless you confirm with the manufacturer I wouldn’t do it. You could damage the pedal, and depending on the design it could be a small fix to a loss.

(A good number of overdrives are only limited by the maximum rail voltage of the OpAmp, that’s why a lot will take 9V - 18V. Many digital pedals use a voltage regulator that can take something like 5V to 24V and internally clamp it to the voltage required. And now with the popularity of the Klon, many use the charge pump design to internally increase the voltage from 9V to 18V, these will let out a big puff of magic smoke, never to be used again.)

So check with the manufacturer.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                            Just don't.

Comment

I have a client who uses old 9 volt batteries in his Cry Baby and MXR Distortion Plus because they really sound good just before the battery dies.
                              Using a Variac is essentially the same concept, wouldn't you say?
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X