banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Channel Switching Amps With A Boss ES-8 (or similar switchers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel Switching Amps With A Boss ES-8 (or similar switchers)

Hello!

I am building a W/D/W rig and plan on getting either a Boss ES-8 or an RJM Mastermind PBC/6X to control the effect pedal switching on my pedalboard as well as the channel switching on my amplifier (Orange TH30) and my preamp pedal (Victory V4 Kraken).

However, I would like to know whether or not I will be able to program which specific channel the signal from the switcher activates when a signal is sent to the amplifier, or if it simply switches channel from whichever channel is active at the moment. In other words, can a switch be programmed to either send an ON or an OFF signal where ON means "clean channel" and OFF means "distortion channel"?

And if this is the case, how does it work with a preamp pedal like the V4 Kraken that has two switches, one that switches between two channels and one that activates a bypass (Through Mode) whenever I wish to use the preamp of the Orange instead?

ES-8 can easily do it. You can program the switch and polarity. It’s been a while since I programmed my ES-8 but I think there are 4 CTRL outputs, you can have two flip/flop for the victory and one go on/off or off/on for the Orange.

I am confident that the ES-8 would work for you.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      ES-8 can easily do it. You can program the switch and polarity. It’s been a while since I programmed my ES-8 but I think there are 4 CTRL outputs, you can have two flip/flop for the victory and one go on/off or off/on for the Orange.

I am confident that the ES-8 would work for you.
      Ok, so I can program [Switch 1] of the ES-8 to run the dirty channel on my amp through the effect pedals in loop 1, 4 and 7, and then program [Switch 2] of the ES-8 to also run the dirty channel on my amp but now through the effects in loop 1 and 6. And if I step on [Switch 2] while having [Switch 1] engaged means that the dirty channel will still be running, it doesn't switch to the clean channel?

Comment

Originally posted by DarthTangYang View Post

Ok, so I can program [Switch 1] of the ES-8 to run the dirty channel on my amp through the effect pedals in loop 1, 4 and 7, and then program [Switch 2] of the ES-8 to also run the dirty channel on my amp but now through the effects in loop 1 and 6. And if I step on [Switch 2] while having [Switch 1] engaged means that the dirty channel will still be running, it doesn't switch to the clean channel?
        ES-8 does best with full programs (all loops, CTRL, EXP, inputs and outputs set) and then Assigns in the program that can flip/flop one or two items.

For example I’d set Bank 1 - Program 1 to be dirty with 1/4/7, then program Bank 1 - Program 2 to be dirty with 1/6. Bank 1 - Program 3 can be clean (whatever CTRL need to be on or off) and loops 3/4/5, etc. Let’s say that you want button 8 in all three patches to turn on loop 2. You can do that too so you can manually turn loop 2 on no matter which patch is selected.

I know you are thinking of automating all the switching to go between the Victory and amp, but the easiest way to do it is to put your pedals that come first in loops 1-5, loop 6 be just the Victory, Volume loop be the amp’s preamp and loop 7/8 be your “effects loop” pedals. Then on a patch you either select Loop 6 on and Volume loop off for the Victory or Loop 6 off and the Volume Loop on for the amp. Then use CTRL switching for the channel in the Victory and Amp.

There are a lot of ways to achieve what you want, the best is the way that makes logical sense to you.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
        X