Tape style echo pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape style echo pedals?

I’ve still got the El Capistan and Belle Epoch I got 10 years ago. The Strymon is a very “clean” implementation of the sound and the Belle is a more dirty implementation. Other than a big, real (reel?) tape echo, has anything surpassed these in the past few years? How is the Dunlop Echoplex?

I use it into the front of the amp for old school echo (and digitalin the loop for cleaner echo).
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I’ve still got the El Capistan and Belle Epoch I got 10 years ago. The Strymon is a very “clean” implementation of the sound and the Belle is a more dirty implementation. Other than a big, real (reel?) tape echo, has anything surpassed these in the past few years? How is the Dunlop Echoplex?

I use it into the front of the amp for old school echo (and digitalin the loop for cleaner echo).
    Funny you mention, I have a session today where the Producer wants real Tape echo, so last night I'm literally opening up and lubing and cleaning a tape machine. pain in the *ss

But I use Eventide H9 tape echo all the time -it's incredible.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Funny you mention, I have a session today where the Producer wants real Tape echo, so last night I'm literally opening up and lubing and cleaning a tape machine. pain in the *ss

As cool as a TTE/SSTE, Echoplex or Space Echo would be, I don’t need another thing to maintain!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I was going to mention the H9 but I figured people are sick of hearing me pump this pedal. The H9 has a tone in the tape echo that reminds me of the subtle noise/tone the machine would give to the signal. It is not noisy in any regard, you have to hear it to pick up on what I am talking about. The analog delay has the same vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I was going to mention the H9 but I figured people are sick of hearing me pump this pedal. The H9 has a tone in the tape echo that reminds me of the subtle noise/tone the machine would give to the signal. It is not noisy in any regard, you have to hear it to pick up on what I am talking about. The analog delay has the same vibe.
          Haha.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

H9 is out, I want knobs. I think the El Cap and Belle Epoch might still be top of the heap?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Should be an up-charge for that.

I'd use my tech 21 Boost DLA set to max tape drift and lowest fidelity. Would he even know??? Other than seeing it?

This is a good example of where "Gotcha" vids help.
              - "Dude - listen to this and pick out the REAL tape delay". Great - Belle Epoch it is!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've tried the Boss RE-202 Space Echo, and that sounds wonderful. It basically does one thing, but that thing is really great.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Should be an up-charge for that.

I'd use my tech 21 Boost DLA set to max tape drift and lowest fidelity. Would he even know??? Other than seeing it?

This is a good example of where "Gotcha" vids help.
                  - "Dude - listen to this and pick out the REAL tape delay". Great - Belle Epoch it is!
                  Yeah I have lots of options , 2 Eventides, Space Echo pedal, DL4 etc etc -deffinitely could pull it off

However, tape throws off a vibe, and a Producers job is keeping a vibe and emotion and getting it in the performance -so perhaps its as much about that as the sound

Comment

I will also say the new DL4 MK2 has a great tape echo, in addition to many other things.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I will also say the new DL4 MK2 has a great tape echo, in addition to many other things.
                      I always thought Line 6 did an enjoyable Tape and Analog delay.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have other variations/simulations (TC AlterEgo, EHX Canyon, Zoom MS-50G) they are all really good and convincing even through a hi-fi amp, but none of them surpass my El Capistan. The Zoom comes close; it imitates a number of tape echoes from the Belle Epoch to the Binson EchoRec, and if you've heard the real units, you can find the settings to twist to get damn close.

But if you require dedicated knobs, I think it's Strymon, or Danelectro Reel Echo (I don't know the quality of that one's sound, however), or a T-Rex Replicator, or Wampler Faux Echo, or even just a Dunlop EP-103? (I haven't owned all of the latter, so I can't speak to the quality of the sound.)
                        Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-12-2023, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I suppose that tape echo is useful for some stuff. But I tend to prefer a tight clean digital delay.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I suppose that tape echo is useful for some stuff. But I tend to prefer a tight clean digital delay.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            I’m targeting the VHI/VHII tone.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                            X