Favorite HM-2 tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite HM-2 tones?

Wondering what you all like from this mythical pedal.

For me, No. 1 would have to be Slaughter of the Soul:

I know this is not an HM-2 on its own, but what an iconic record. I am biased, though. Probably my favorite record from my favorite band.

Second would have to be Left Hand Path:

IMO, that is the Swedish Death Metal album.

Although, not very Trve of myself, but I'm partial to the tone in Wolverine Blues, TBH.

"The Nocturnal Silence" will forever be the king of the Sunlight Studio albums.

Also, gotta self promote some -- the guitar on my band's first demo (https://condemner.bandcamp.com/album/omens-of-perdition) was HM-2 fueled (and then badly mixed by me hahaha).

Comment

I actually really like the HM-2 with the gain turned wayyyyy down. I call it Mr. Growley.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

HM-2 also handles a boost amazingly well. It also works great as a boost itself, but it's definitely an unconventional boost.
        The all knobs on max thing is cool as one element of a blended guitar tone, but by itself it just sounds like utter **** IMO, although Sunlight was able to harness it in a variety of ways that sounded great. To me though it's not a very enjoyable tone to play through when set at all max.

Comment

I honestly agree with you guys.

I'm pretty sure that's how the HM-2 was used in the SOTS tone. It's the HM-2 boosting an MT-2, I believe. Gain probably kept low, and both those pedals don't really have a lot of range for low-ish gain settings, LOL. And definitely not the usual chainsaw settings. I actually find in mine, you only really get the chainsaw thing going if you crank the H color knob past like 2:00-ish. Otherwise, it sounds like a standard-ish distortion pedals before you reach those settings.

And I'm pretty sure it's not set to max on the Wolverine Blues tone. Sounds a lot more controlled there.

Like I said, I really like to keep the settings conservative in mine as well. I feel to get the chainsaw thing going, you just gotta turn on the H knob a bit, but not to 10. I personally like to keep the gain as low as I can without the palm-mutes sounding weak, the L knob around 12:00-ish to keep things tight, the H knob high to get the chainsaw going, the level up to have unity gain, and then dropping some more gain from something Recto-ish. It's still a mean ugly sound, but it's got more control than with all the knobs at 10.

Then again, I do find it fun to play through with the knobs at 10 as well, LOL.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-07-2023, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Slaughter of the soul was a metal zone

its in here somewhere:

If dismember used an hm-2 on the “death metal” album that’d be my favorite
            Last edited by DankStar; 04-07-2023, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
              Slaughter of the soul was a metal zone

its in here somewhere:

If dismember used an hm-2 on the “death metal” album that’d be my favorite
              Well, IIRC, there was an interview where there was mention of them using an HM-2 boosting an MT-2. However, you're right, in the video, they make no mention of the MT-2.

I'll see if I can find the source.

Comment

That is exactly right about the chainsaw buzz coming from the H set high. It varies entering between 2:00 and 3:00 and of course gets more intense from there up. Because of that you can still get some of the saw even when using the HM-2 as a boost. A little thump from the L knob is great too when boosting.

I like it best though as a regular distortion pedal (below the buzz-point on the H knob) being clean-boosted by my focus pedal or an EQ, or anything cleaner and wider than a screamer.

Comment

Why does it make that sound assuming the eq is after the distortion?
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                    Why does it make that sound assuming the eq is after the distortion?
                    It's the EQ curve.

Comment

Working...
                    X