Incoming: Joyo Cab Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming: Joyo Cab Box

After my Ampero debacle and a sobering trip to GC to play through a similarly disappointing Headrush mx5, I wanted a new toy to be excited about so picked up a Joyo Cab box off of reverb. I have lotsa pedals I can put through it with its power amp sim and IRs, and you can load some of your own too.

The amount of tweaking you can do with the amps, mics, placements, and EQ is impressive. Loving that it has an XLR and headphone outs!

Hoping this helps birth a new tune.

I'll report back my friends.

I tried one of these because I’m looking for a cab sim to use live but I was disappointed with how very noticeable the lag was between the real cabinet at the Joyo. Do they all do this? I might be better off with a Nux or AMT.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Eek, first I’ve heard of a lag. I’ll find out.

I don’t foresee using it at the same time as a real cab but if it’s long enough to be noticeable practicing with headphones that’ll be bad.
      Last edited by DankStar; 04-08-2023, 08:43 AM.

Comment

What didn't you like about the MX5? I use it's big brother, the Pedalboard, and it's been absolutely perfect, once I got the right presets in it for me.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
          What didn't you like about the MX5? I use it's big brother, the Pedalboard, and it's been absolutely perfect, once I got the right presets in it for me.
          It has to do with the noise gates and the noise that’s there that needs gated to begin with.

With the the gate on, and during continuous playing, the mx5 and Ampero sound good to me. When I’m “pausing” and I brush past the strings and the noise peeks through it drives me nuts. When the gate cuts off held notes is another bugaboo but needed to not hear the noise that’s needing gated. With the gate off, the high gain settings are noisy all the time and that’s not usable either.

I use a gate on my digitech gsp but I can hold a note and it doesn’t cut off or introduce weird noise at the end.

The Ampero had more pronounced noise/gate issue than the mx5.

What I find odd is, I don’t use gates with my real amps playing at bedroom volumes, they’re pretty quiet. Why are virtual amps so noisy that everything needs gated? I thought they would have figured that out by now.
          Last edited by DankStar; 04-08-2023, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I just tested mine, and I can say it's definitely got some bus noise, and I think just about any digital pedal will have some. The higher gain, the worse that will get. With the VU meter on the Pedalboard, it's easy to set it for whatever situation I am in, and I almost never even have to. I also use it with either headphones/IEM's on stage, or small powered PA speakers. I do notice my guitar picking up the noise from my computer when I am sitting next to it as well. That's the only situation that really gets noticeable for me.
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Thanks for the insights Trevor. The pedalboard looks great. I love the small format of the mx5 and will keep my eye on them as the price comes down, especially after namm. I only tested that one briefly and didn’t change values on the gate or anything, just toggled it on and off. Curious about the engl they added in a firmware update too.
              Last edited by DankStar; 04-08-2023, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                Eek, first I’ve heard of a lag. I’ll find out.

I don’t foresee using it at the same time as a real cab but if it’s long enough to be noticeable practicing with headphones that’ll be bad.
                I’m very intolerant to lag. I’m concerned it could mess with my timing I spent so long getting good at. It’s probably not perceptible within a few milliseconds, like standing a distance from a cabinet but when I can notice it beyond just phase discrepancies, that’s bad! I think it’s the extra processing it requires when the power amp sim and EQ is turned on.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Thanks for the insights Trevor. The pedalboard looks great. I love the small format of the mx5 and will keep my eye on them as the price comes down, especially after namm. I only tested that one briefly and didn’t change values on the gate or anything, just toggled it on and off. Curious about the engl they added in a firmware update too.
                  If you do end up looking into the pedalboard, the used market is falling price-wise. The Prime version just came out, so you can pick up the original for a song these days.

Comment

returning - headphone jack has all kinds of noise. unusable. live and learn I guess.

replacing with another item but I'm not going to jinx myself this time

Comment

Working...
                    X