Behringer SF300 has a second secret mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer SF300 has a second secret mode

A lot of people know about how the SF300 (and maybe the boss FZ-2 of which it was based, idk) a 4th secret mode if you get the switch stuck between fuzz 1 and 2, but I was experimenting with it today and noticed it has a much better secret setting if you get it stuck between the boost and fuzz 2 settings.

It doesn't sound like an HM-2, but it's in that same genre of gnarly fuzz that's really more designed to scare the kids than to be musical. I've been messing around with it for about a half an hour now and it's just an insane sound.

I like it enough that I may end up putting it in a new enclosure with a propper footswitch and a 5 way switch. Also this setting seems to bypass the volume control, so I think I will do a little circuit analysis and add a seperate volume control for the boost and second secret setting somewhere in there.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

interesting. is it just that both modes are engaged?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      interesting. is it just that both modes are engaged?
      This was going to be my question. But still sounds like a secret glitch you'd find while playing an old video game
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Yeah, it's just both modes being on. I think it's just interacting differently than you'd expect from two parallel circuits.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Only $30 if you want to try it out

Comment

Huh, does it stay in that position easily or is it touchy?

Comment

I takes a second to get it in the position, but when it does it stays there. The trick is to set the pedal volume low enough you can barely hear it and then slide it around until you find it. Once your reach the point where the volume control is largely ignored you will know.

Comment

I modded my pedal to bridge the two settings, and interestingly enough it did not perform as intended. It does exactly what you'd expect a bridged fuzz and boost to sound like, a clear sound with a fizzy background.

It might be an "issue" where there is more resistance than purely bridging the two contacts would create, so imma add a trim pot and experiment with it.

Comment

Any of yall got SF300s and can confirm whether or not it does this? I bought two and they both do it, but it seems the sort of thing they may not all do because one is harder to find the right spot for.

Comment

Mine does it as well. It's probably the switch that's reacting different is the difference ya experiencing. If you want to try modding this one, try germanium diodes in place of the silicon ones, sounds more like a univox that way.

Comment

I added a toggle switch to the side of mine. I don't find the combined mode that interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        I added a toggle switch to the side of mine. I don't find the combined mode that interesting.
                        That's what I experienced. I liked the "combined" boost/fuzz 2 mode, but when I tried to put it on a toggle switch it turned into just a fizzy clean tone.

Comment

Working...
                        X