Effects for rerecording old songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects for rerecording old songs

Some guys from my old 80's band want to record a few songs we never got to do in the studio. I am torn between dusting off the old effects MXR D+, first gen silver Morley Boost/Wah, DOD Chorus to capture the old vibe or going with newer stuff H9/H90, Wampler Dracarys Distortion, MOOG Delay (for an EP Boost) for an updated tone. Should I update or go vintage?

update, you can never go back.

Comment

Older songs recorded with "latest & greatest" gear I think is the best of both worlds....

Comment

Demo both, see what’s standing out as the best to go with

Comment

Old gear has a higher noise floor and you'll notice it badly trying to record it now. I would A/B the H9 against the original gear to get the settings exact, then use the H9.

Otherwise, if you use the old gear, you're going to find yourself using gates and hiss/noise suppressors on the track.

Comment

I say, re-imagine them with newer stuff. Stuff you wish you had back then.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It worked fine then. Springsteen did Nebraska on a 4-track in '82. Ninety five percent of a great recording is the recording of a great song. If you don't have that the gear don't matter a lick.

Comment

I talked with the engineer last night, and he said to bring both setups. He wants to do two guitar tracks and wants separate and distinct tones for the lead and rhythm guitars. So, I am thinking old school on the rhythm guitar Les Paul WLH, Morley, MXR D+, and modern on the lead guitar, Black Winter Strat, H90, Dracarys Distortion.

Comment

Have at man. Rock that stuff.

Comment

Definitely a mix of both I'd say. Some of y'all have probably changed more than others, and I think your gear should reflect that.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                    X