NPD TC electronic tube pilot review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD TC electronic tube pilot review

Another tube pedal review. This one coming in at $65 in price. Don't know what brand of tube is in it it's difficult to get to the tube inside but it's some kind of 12ax7. The character of this distortion I would describe as gritty. It's only got controls for volume and distortion so I think this pedal could really benefit from a tone control. A little too raw for me. Out if the 3 tube pedals I've tried so far (tube pilot, vintage tube monster, little Bear g3) I think the behringer vintage tube monster is the best sounding, also the most expensive out of the 3 at $99. Also having the most flexibility with a 3 band EQ. Ironically enough it's too big for a pedal board. Looks like I'm still on a search for the right overdrive to push my Mark V...
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Are you looking for a tube overdrive, specifically? What tone characteristics are you chasing?

Comment

I’ve got one and found that switching out the 12AX7 for something with a bit lower gain output helps it quite a bit. I have a 12AY7 in mine right now and it sounds pretty good. But it’s not on my board right now. I am sure I will keep it around.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
        Are you looking for a tube overdrive, specifically? What tone characteristics are you chasing?
        Not specifically, I was checking out a few but I'm open to SS. I'm looking for something with a strong midrange and a little saturation.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Sounds like you are describing a Tube Screamer.

The tube pedals you are playing with use a starved tube design, which is not how tubes are used in amps. The tube in those is pretty much just used for clipping, not really doing any amplification. Not saying it can't sound good, it's just not really doing anything that can't be done with SS, except needing a lot more current to run the heaters.

Before the shouting starts, there are tube preamp pedals that run the tubes at proper high voltages like a real amp, the AMT and Blackstar pedals come to mind, there are others, just drawing a blank on Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Not specifically, I was checking out a few but I'm open to SS. I'm looking for something with a strong midrange and a little saturation.

I agree with what devastone stated. You’re describing a Tube Screamer type pedal. There’s so many options available for this circuit. You’ve got to find the one that complements your amp and tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post

I agree with what devastone stated. You’re describing a Tube Screamer type pedal. There’s so many options available for this circuit. You’ve got to find the one that complements your amp and tone.
              I just don't like how the TS cuts bass.

Comment

theres ts inspired pedals that dont

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  theres ts inspired pedals that dont
                  Anything come to mind? Any suggestions?

Comment

Anything come to mind? Any suggestions?
                    An SD 805, and the Bad Monkey.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Duncan 805 if you want to adjust the EQ.

If not, TS's that don't cut as much bass are Maxon OD820, VOP9, Mesa Grid Slammer, or EQD Plumes come to mind.

Or you could try a Klon-type. I like the TC Electronic Zeus as far as budget-friendly options.

Comment

And I also had a Tube Pilot at some point, and I agree. It was too bright and thin for my taste.

Comment

I just don't like how the TS cuts bass.
                          You should try the maxon st9pro+ with the low-boost engaged. It is basically a modded ibanez sts (super tube).

Comment

Yep, plenty of 808 variants that don't cut as much bass.

Or other OD's that do the clean/dirty blend as well. Klon, Timmy, KOT, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              Sounds like you are describing a Tube Screamer.

The tube pedals you are playing with use a starved tube design, which is not how tubes are used in amps. The tube in those is pretty much just used for clipping, not really doing any amplification. Not saying it can't sound good, it's just not really doing anything that can't be done with SS, except needing a lot more current to run the heaters.

Before the shouting starts, there are tube preamp pedals that run the tubes at proper high voltages like a real amp, the AMT and Blackstar pedals come to mind, there are others, just drawing a blank on Monday morning.
                              The Duncan Twin Tube Classic does this also. It uses a 240V-to-16V transformer in reverse to create the high voltage supply.

Comment

Working...
                              X