i scream, you scream, we all scream about Tube Screamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i scream, you scream, we all scream about Tube Screamers

I'm not really a pedal guy. But out of all the pedals I've owned, I must have had like 12-15 variatons on Tube Screamers, LOL.

I'm very passionate about TS's. Ever since I started taking tone seriously, I was using a POD XT and boosting my 5150 and Rectifier models with the 808 model.

As soon as I started playing real amps, I needed to have a TS. A friend gifted me an MXR Classic Overdrive, and it all started there. I then got a beat up TS9 that I always suspected was modded because it never sounded right. I guess the apex of my journey was the actual Ibanez TS808 reissue, because that's really what I always thought was *the* one to get.

I've really liked the Duncan 805, the Boss SD-1, and the MXR Classic OD/Wylde OD/GT-OD. However, I keep going back to my TS808. Nothing else quite gives me *that* sound.

I wish my 808 had the EQ capabilities of the 805, but sadly, it doesn't. But at the same time, I'm not sure I'd want it to. I like the set-and-forget nature of the 808. TBH, the only knob I ever tweak is the Tone knob. I'm a gain on 0, level on 10 kinda guy on OD's unless it has very little gain (like the 805) or too much output volume (which I don't normally find to be the case with TS-types).

Just wondering what you recommend I try next. I was thinking Wampler Clarksdale or JHS Bonsai. I tend to prefer the fatter options, and I'd love it if my 808 had a tad more bass (not as much as the Mesa Grid Slammer, though) and a bit less honky midrange. I'm thinking about giving the Maxon OD808 a try again exactly because that's how I remember it being.

So... let's discuss!

You already have a TS that you like. Look into something else that would compliment and work well with it. Something like a BD-2, Timmy, or OCD would all do nicely. If your tastes run higher gain you might get some mileage out of a muff.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The TS7 and TS5 are great Tube Screamers. The BYOC Classic Overdrive and Overdrive II are great versions as well. Of course there is the Bad Monkey, which I like a lot, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok man - you are all over the place. You want fatter, with flatter mids; Besides the Duncan 805, a Green Rhino will that. You might also consider a TS9DX - 4 mode screamer.

I currently own:

TS5
        TS7
        TS9
        TS9DX
        OD800
        Green Screamer
        Bad Monkey

Get the Rhino. This is not a discussion, that is the correct answer.

There are many great Screamers out there, but at the end of the day, they are all TS9's, including the 808.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          You already have a TS that you like. Look into something else that would compliment and work well with it. Something like a BD-2, Timmy, or OCD would all do nicely. If your tastes run higher gain you might get some mileage out of a muff.
          I tried experimenting with Klon-types. They're fine, but they're no TS's, LOL.

I would love to try something that mixes the clean and the distorted sound kinda like a TS does. I guess a Bluesbreaker does that as well? Timmy too? BB Preamp?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I tried experimenting with Klon-types. They're fine, but they're no TS's, LOL.

I would love to try something that mixes the clean and the distorted sound kinda like a TS does. I guess a Bluesbreaker does that as well? Timmy too? BB Preamp?
            The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive lets you blend in the clean, unaffected signal. I’ve never tried a Tubescreamer I liked. They remove too much of the sound of the amp I like and add too much that I don’t. I don’t like how they make guitars sit in the mix.

That’s why I had a pedalmaker start with the circuit closest to what I do like (original ZW-44) and using a breadboard, we changed every component until it sounded exactly how I wanted. Despite having the traditional one tone knob, it’s very powerful. It’s my secret weapon.

It can switch between the flatter ZW inspired circuit to a GT-OD inspired one if I do want a bit of mid push for the more typical pushed sound for my rectifier. It had the options for symmetrical, asymmetrical and bypassed diodes. Back to back to the Zakk, it’s smoother, more transparent with less of the clanky grind (which I do like for some applications, so of course I still keep the Zakk around) with a lot of on-board overdrive which almost blurs the line between an overdrive and a really warm heavy distortion.

As icing on the cake, it had an LPB-1 circuit in series to push any amp to critical mass. Depending on the level, it can make leads sound really chewy, add infinite sustain, or make your power chords sound like the speaker is ripping apart. I set it diode bypassed (if I’m using it as a boost/filter and little to no gain) and Zakk mode in front of my JVM for my core heavy rhythm tone. It adds pick definition, doesn’t take out the important parts of the low end and just adds “more” without drastically messing with the raw amp voicing I like in the first place.

Experimenting with the gain on tap with the different diode configurations is incredibly fun. A great feature in the studio is widening the stereo image of double tracked guitars by having it set differently for each track.

This is a custom one off tailored to my rigs and my needs but pretty much any overdrive with at least a 2 band EQ like a Timmy or Bad Monkey (once the prices drop..) can be dialled in to best compliment your amp. If there ever were demand for the Cornhole to be replicated for other guitarists, I probably would give them a 2/3 band EQ.

The same builder who made my Cornhole overdrive (yes, that’s the name because of what it does to the front of the amp haha) built a unit that lets you plug in any overdrive or effect and give it a wet/dry control pot.

He also made me a companion fuzz which is the absolute nastiest fuzz I’ve ever heard for a contrast to my comparatively polite muff. I’ve posted the video all about my custom overdrive elsewhere but am happy to share again here if there’s any interest.
            Last edited by El Dunco; 10-25-2023, 09:16 PM.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

When I use a TS pedal, it is the only source of gain. I don't use it into an already distorted amp, so it is likely different than most other peoples' use.

Comment

I've heard the JHS bonzai was pretty good, I've only experienced it myself on TS9 and JHS mode though. It was a tubescreamer, that's about all I can say about it. I've never cared for TS's, especially the boutique options. It seems like all of them are more geared towards people who buy pedals just to buy pedals
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  When I use a TS pedal, it is the only source of gain. I don't use it into an already distorted amp, so it is likely different than most other peoples' use.
                  Even for that, I find it quite thin next to the CH. I’ll have to do a shootout someday.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

There are so many flavors of Tube Screamers out there. It's like ice cream. Everyone has their favorite flavor.

I like the 808 myself over the TS9. It's a tad bit warmer to my ears against the 9. Amazing what 3 part value changes will do to the sound of a circuit. I had an 808 but sold it when I took some time off from playing out in 2017. Kept my amp and guitars only.

The closest I have to a TS currently is the BYOC Yellow Overdrive (Boss OD-1 clone) but it's not *really* the same. Same concept, similar circuit sans tone control and the signal goes through a different input on the opamp vs the TS and even the Super Overdrive.

Since I love the smell of molten solder, I'd probably get a BYOC Classic Overdrive kit for a true TS circuit. Not something I need right now though.

The Fulltone Mosfet Drive 2 is a nice TS variation (Vintage mode is a TS) with quite a bit of flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive lets you blend in the clean, unaffected signal. I’ve never tried a Tubescreamer I liked. They remove too much of the sound of the amp I like and add too much that I don’t. I don’t like how they make guitars sit in the mix.

That’s why I had a pedalmaker start with the circuit closest to what I do like (original ZW-44) and using a breadboard, we changed every component until it sounded exactly how I wanted. Despite having the traditional one tone knob, it’s very powerful. It’s my secret weapon.

It can switch between the flatter ZW inspired circuit to a GT-OD inspired one if I do want a bit of mid push for the more typical pushed sound for my rectifier. It had the options for symmetrical, asymmetrical and bypassed diodes. Back to back to the Zakk, it’s smoother, more transparent with less of the clanky grind (which I do like for some applications, so of course I still keep the Zakk around) with a lot of on-board overdrive which almost blurs the line between an overdrive and a really warm heavy distortion.

Any plans to market this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Any plans to market this?
                        I have the one and only prototype because it’s mine and I’m a special boy. However, if it gets some interest, I wouldn’t be opposed to having a run of them (with a 2 band so people can dial it in to their own rigs)

Video demo:

Here is a song with the Cornhole in action how I use it in my rig on all the rhythm guitars and with more of the overdrive on the solo. Heavy, smooth, great pick definition, plenty of balls.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/njwoziktiny903fjwbjaf/Fragmenta-Murder-No5-instrumental.wav
                        Last edited by El Dunco; 10-26-2023, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I've got an Earthquaker Devices Plumes, and it's been a great TS for my use. The other one I'll often grab is the East River from EHX.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                          Originally posted by Securb
                          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I use a TS9DX. Very versatile. I like having options.

Comment

I was just comparing my actual TS808 to my HX's 808 model... man, they nailed it. Like... big-time.

Only difference is the Helix 808 is 1.5 dB quieter (I measured). But the gain levels and voicing is the same. The tone knobs acts the same. It just sounds bang-on.

I wish the amp models were as good as that.

It's insane.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-26-2023, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X