Carvin X1 tube preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin X1 tube preamp

I am very interested in this preamp. I have fallen in love with my X100B head. It delivers a lot more thump than my Marshall. I typically use an MIB tube preamp with my JC120 for my dirt tones. I think this will give a new option with the JC120 and could also be a direct to house, powered speaker and/or recording option.

Has anyone played one of these in the wild? I am wondering how true it is to the head.

Carvin totally stopped making amp heads didn't they? Seems like pedal preamps/poweramps is the alternative to mini amp heads these days.

I miss the old Carvin. I always felt they made great stuff for the price.

Comment

Wasn't that made right before they closed down their amps? Carvin did come out with cool stuff back in the day. I can't really stand the modern Kiesel designs.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Wasn't that made right before they closed down their amps? Carvin did come out with cool stuff back in the day. I can't really stand the modern Kiesel designs.
        Yep, I think it is one of the last things they did. The really cool thing about that preamp is it has a 1w powered output. I bet it would gel with a Randell or Orange 1x8.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Yep, I think it is one of the last things they did. The really cool thing about that preamp is it has a 1w powered output. I bet it would gel with a Randell or Orange 1x8.
          So it has a small power amp in there, too? How strange (but cool).

Comment

100% agree.

Comment

So it has a small power amp in there, too? How strange (but cool).
              Yeah it is cool another reason why I am interested in the pedal.

Comment

Pretty interesting. There are certainly a lot of choices for pedal-based amps these days.

Comment

Not to get off topic, but regarding the ohm rating, since ohms are resistance, wouldn't it make sense for sound gear to have the lowest ohm ratings possible for the least resistance and best possible sound?

I'm vaguely familiar with all the different ways to calculate ohm/wattage ratings based on series/parallel operation and so on, but I thought maybe by default engineers would want the lowest ohms possible. This number would then increase when more speakers/gear/cable length is added.

Comment

I don't like the colors. They make me think of rainbow trout.

Kiesel NAM7 Aries Neck Thru 7 String Multiscale Beveled Top Guitar Purple/Pink FadeBrand New in Box w/Kiesel Ultimate Soft Case / Direct From Kiesel 12/22/20 Untouched, Unplayed, Only out for PhotosMade in the USASwamp Ash Body3 piece Walnut w/ Maple StripesClear Gloss FinishPurple to Pink F...

Comment

Look at my new Kiesel everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

I don't like the colors. They make me think of rainbow trout.

https://reverb.com/item/37882383-kie...ade-in-the-usa
                        The woods mostly look like diseases under a microscope.

Comment

Vai used the pedal version of his legacy amps when he was on tour some years ago
                          after the reall Carvin heads caught fire

The pedals packed better and held up better

Not sure about the X1 version

Steve Has moved on after years and years

EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

x1 should be on early black friday sale soon

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              Vai used the pedal version of his legacy amps when he was on tour some years ago
                              after the reall Carvin heads caught fire

The pedals packed better and held up better

Not sure about the X1 version

Steve Has moved on after years and years
                              I could see him switching to the pedal it has a remote footswitch option that makes it very rack-friendly.

Comment

Working...
                              X