Zoar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoar?

For crying out loud! How many different ways can you make a distortion pedal? I want one.

Zoar is a highly interactive medium-high gain discrete distortion pedal that has that highly sought after touch sensitive amp-like quality

I haven't listened to any clips of it yet, but the pre-gain bass knob has my attention. That's a pretty popular mod for me to do to my pedals, it's an extremely versatile thing to have as far as going between a tight OD sound and a wooly fuzz tone.

Also passive EQ that's designed to be neutral at noon is a cool idea
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

And it's not terribly expensive. I see this on my Christmas list.

Comment

Sheesh $129 is a lot cheaper than I was expecting. I may have to requisition one from Santa as well, provided I manage to pull off a spot on the Nice List
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I'm trying to decide if I should be naughty or nice.

Comment

I have heard arguments for both sides

Comment

I've encountered perspectives supporting both viewpoints. geometry dash meltdown

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                For crying out loud! How many different ways can you make a distortion pedal?
                generally talking, in analog realm, 3.

- soft clipping (diodes on the feedback loop)
                - hard clipping (diods to Ref voltage)
                - overloading a device (BJT, FET, MOSFET, OpAmp...)

the overdrive, distortion e fuzz pedals aways orbit around these three methods, there are not so many topologies used but the combination with the eq tailoring (pre distortion, post distortion ecc) and the components values used create millions of varieties, in some case significantly different with just the twist of a single value
                Last edited by marcello252; 11-17-2023, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

generally talking, in analog realm, 3.

- soft clipping (diodes on the feedback loop)
                  - hard clipping (diods to Ref voltage)
                  - overloading a device (BJT, FET, MOSFET, OpAmp...)

the overdrive, distortion e fuzz pedals aways orbit around these three methods, there are not so many topologies used but the combination with the eq tailoring (pre distortion, post distortion ecc) and the components values used create millions of varieties, in some case significantly different with just the twist of a single value
                  There is a 4th more sinister type of distortion that I've only ever seen in the guitar world in an HM-2. Crossover distortion. If you look at the D5 and D6 diode pair, they form an arrangement that doesn't even count as clipping, seeing as it removes the lower end of the dynamic range rather than the upper limit. It also forms a simple 2 component noise gate.

You could add more parameters as well, such as octave fuzz's, even order versus odd order distortion (intentionally mismatched transistors), cascaded gain stages, pre and post gain eq's, and countless other glitchty effects

Comment

Here's a good article from Jack Orman on different ways to implement diodes, LED's and others for various distortion modes.

Expanding the Tone of Diode Clipping with unique saturation controls.

Comment

And another:

How to use mosfet transistors and zener diodes for clipping in guitar fx pedals.

Comment

And another:

An original clipping circuit that has a different response in high or low parts of the frequency band.

Comment

Working...
                        X