Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run my TS808 at 18V?

I've heard some people do.

Would it be safe to do so? I have a 9 to 18V adapter that I use with my 805.

Not sure if I will fry something with my TS808.

BTW, I don't know what happened years ago. I was once jamming with a friend, and I was using a cheapie One Spot. I think there may have been a peak or something at his home, and it fried my One Spot. Ever since that, my TS808 doesn't work on a battery, just plugged in. Don't want to further mess it up, TBH.

Comment

Most ODs are fine at 18V. Some circuits (like Klons & klones) have an internal voltage doubler and can't handle it.
      Another exception is the Maxon 820 Pro which has a voltage doubler like the Klon.
      But in the regular TS (or its many clones) there's no doubler. People have been running them at 18V for years without problems.

That said, if yours was compromised by a power spike in the past, I'd wait for an expert opinion.
      Which mine is not.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

it depends on the caps you have inside, generally a standard ts9 must be modified, you have to check.
        You have to read every electrolytical you have inside, read the rating, I remember on mine there were at least one 12v rated cap, that would not work, they must be at least 24v ( don't rely on 18v ratings) , I made lots of mods so I don't remeber if it was one only or several.
        ceramics and film cap might be ok, there are no other issues
        Last edited by marcello252; 12-05-2023, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Just checked the caps. They're rated 16V.

I did however try to run it at 18V, and it did work. It did not burst into flames, LOL. But I suspect it might not be a good idea for extended periods of time.

Comment

i think that is a wise choice

Comment

There is an Xotic 15V voltage pump. I think I'm going to get it, because it did sound FAT at 18V.

Comment

rule of thumbs: never ever use components very close to limits for at least two reasons:
                1) tolerance are notoriously huge, in order of 10%, even with ratings, if your cap is 16v and old it might be possible its rating is now 15 or lower , who knows , this would be at least 3v under the voltage you give
                2) there are always spikes, short voltage peaks well beyond the given level, in switching adapter too, so never trust the ratings, be pessimistic, use better components, or don't connect overvoltaged supply

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                  rule of thumbs: never ever use components very close to limits for at least two reasons:
                  1) tolerance are notoriously huge, in order of 10%, even with ratings, if your cap is 16v and old it might be possible its rating is now 15 or lower , who knows , this would be at least 3v under the voltage you give
                  2) there are always spikes, short voltage peaks well beyond the given level, in switching adapter too, so never trust the ratings, be pessimistic, use better components, or don't connect overvoltaged supply

How about 12V? Would that be playing it safer?

Comment

id think 12v would be ok, definitely safer than 15v or 18v

Comment

You'd think common sense would tell you that circuits should be run on the voltages they were designed for. But I guess common sense is no longer part of the equation. When components are rated higher than expected by the circuit, it's to ensure they stay within an acceptable operating window that they have been tested for within that circuit. Oh but that's just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        You'd think common sense would tell you that circuits should be run on the voltages they were designed for. But I guess common sense is no longer part of the equation. When components are rated higher than expected by the circuit, it's to ensure they stay within an acceptable operating window that they have been tested for within that circuit. Oh but that's just a hunch.
                        OK, but then there was Van Halen and how he got his brown sound.

Or Soldano doing the Hot Rod 25, or Music Man running those ridiculous voltages on their amps in the 70's.

It's not like I'm messing with a collectible rare pedal either. Or even a fully working pedal, at that.

As much as yeah, it's kind of a dumb question... is it really? Even if it is, I figured it was worth asking, no? Better ask it than be left with the doubt, especially since it didn't come across as obvious to me as the reason I asked it is I just saw someone doing it on a video.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-05-2023, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Does it not sound good at 9v like the pedal says?
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            It does. But it sounds nasal compared to other pedals. But a TS is supposed to sound nasal. Grass is always greener on the other side kinda deal, I guess.

I like experimenting with the stuff I got. I've wanted a Maxon OD820 for a while, but they're discontinued, and they're kind of expensive. I just wanted to see if I can make my Tube Screamer's EQ a bit broader while still sounding like a Tube Screamer. I also have a Duncan 805, but it doesn't do the TS808 thing as well as the TS808 does.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-05-2023, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              I think they sound awesome at 9v, but it certainly has a 'sound'.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X