Germanium Tumnus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germanium Tumnus

Just watched a video by Brian Wampler introducing a limited run germanium dioded Tumnus. Same size as the smaller Tumnus, man that sounds nice. Already on backorder and it his vid just came out 4 hrs ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	175
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	6261760

In this video, we talk about our newest pedal - the Limited Edition Germanium Tumnus. If you're a fan of our standard tumnus or other "klone" based circuits,...
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

imnsho , no need to rush.

I've experimented everything on the klon topology, the diodes don't count almost anything except on very high gain and the differences I've heard are negligible at least, much of the distortion comes from the TL072 opamp.

​​​​​Brian is a very cool guy however, and his products are high quality stuff, so, if you don't have a klon, that's a good chance since I bet it will gain value, if you already have one, no need to buy it unless it is for investment

Comment

My understanding is, while germanium might have a smoother sound in certain circuits, it's performance is also subject to temperature and/or humidity changes (can't recall which). So I might not sign up for that December Northern Lights festival in Alaska or the Bwa-ha-ha Bahama Sun festival in July. But at home and in the studio, rock on.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        it's performance is also subject to temperature and/or humidity changes (can't recall which).
        temperature , but in diodes the audible effect is null, it's in transistors that the temperature drift is evident.
        the clear difference between germanium and silicon diodes is in the voltage at which they start being conductive, for germanium is more or less 0.2/0.3V , for silicon diodes 0.6/0.7 depending on type.
        ​​​​​​BTW silicon schottky diodes have a average 0.2V with a curve similar to germaniun , you can use it instead of them with no audible effect, an example is the ProCo Dirty Rat, it was born with germanium diodes and now they switched to a schottky diodes and noone noticed the difference

Comment

I heard the OG Tumnus is very well-regarded.

I bought an Archer Ikon, and I was very disappointed. I thought it sounded... alright. I mean, for what I want to use it, there are better pedals. I sold my Archer and kept my cheap TC Electronic Zeus. I don't know if either have Ge diodes. Some of them supposedly do.

Klons are cool, just not my thing 90% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
            imnsho , no need to rush.

I've experimented everything on the klon topology, the diodes don't count almost anything except on very high gain and the differences I've heard are negligible at least, much of the distortion comes from the TL072 opamp.

​​​​​Brian is a very cool guy however, and his products are high quality stuff, so, if you don't have a klon, that's a good chance since I bet it will gain value, if you already have one, no need to buy it unless it is for investment
            I also couldn’t help but notice designing my own pedal that germanium diodes don’t have any special mojo that makes them inherently superior to any other kind and definitely don’t seem to have more influence than the circuit itself. I found them really disappointing.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
              I found them really disappointing.
              it depends on the circuit, in a RAT for example they make that distinctive fuzzier vibe the Dirty RAT is famous for, however they're not a panacea for circuits, but this is true for almost every electronic components
              Last edited by marcello252; 12-11-2023, 03:04 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

it depends on the circuit, in a RAT for example yhey make that distinctivy fuzzier vibe the Dirty RAT is famous for, they're not a panacea for circuits, but this is true to almost every components
                Exactly.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I saw the Andertons video first thing in the morning and was impressed. I never had a Klon or Klone before and figured I'd order one. Worst case, I figured I could get my money back since it was a limited run of pedals. Got a call from Sweetwater a couple hours later telling me I was lucky and got one before they sold out. I like it a lot, sounds fantastic and really versatile. I usually use my Kemper but have a backup pedalboard with Tech21 Moptop DI. The Germanium Tumnus works really well with either setup. I really like it with the "amp" set to edge of breakup as it gives the dirt a more complex feel.

Comment

Working...
                  X