Solo Compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Compression?

I understand the importance of compression in a mix, but what benefit does compression serve when there is no other audio competing for the sonic space? Such as in a bedroom setting or a singer/songwriter acoustic guitar situation?

It obviously helps sustain and evens out dynamics. Both of those can benefit a solo guitarist depending on the type of music. I wouldn't think a classical player would dig that but a lot of Michael Hedges-type acoustic players would.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It can hide poor technique and poor dynamics, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        It can hide poor technique and poor dynamics, honestly.
        Thats how i do it
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Depends on what else is going on in the mix, but for me gentle, conservative compression dialed in right can help a solo or melody stand out over the mix in the same way a little compression on bass evens it out below. Hotter pickups seem to do this compression naturally as well.

If a solo has a lot dynamics, I would use little to no compression.

Compressor type/choice can be important, too. In plugins like Amplitube and Guitar Rig, I like using pedal based compressors for guitar as opposed to something complex or in a rack.

Drums and an overall mix seem better for more complex compressors with more precise controls and parameters.

Comment

Here's a nice example of a sparse singer/songwriter mix with just guitar and vocals that still uses a healthy amount of compression. It's almost too much to my ears, it doesn't sound totally natural, but it works well for this.

Take it to the limit
            Everybody to the limit
            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
              Here's a nice example of a sparse singer/songwriter mix with just guitar and vocals that still uses a healthy amount of compression. It's almost too much to my ears, it doesn't sound totally natural, but it works well for this.

Yeah, these are the kinds of players I am talking about. They use compression to get tapped notes the same volume as picked or strummed notes. Every time I hear a player like this, there is always some compression.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

When you crank a tube amp, even if you're not getting much gain you usually get compression. If you're playing at lower volumes you can set a compressor up to mimic this, which helps make the amp feel more like it does at high volumes - otherwise many clean amps will sounds harsh and unnaturally peaky.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

With all this mentioned, a thread on when to use expanders would be nice. If people tend to not know how to use compressors well, then they don't know when to use expanders at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

What bugs me about this isn't so much the compression as the sizzle in the signal. I've always preferred a direct acoustic sound, ideally from a magnetic pickup, blended to taste with a close mic or room mic.

Definitely not a fan of acoustic amps and such, but compromises have to be made in a live situation I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                      With all this mentioned, a thread on when to use expanders would be nice. If people tend to not know how to use compressors well, then they don't know when to use expanders at all.
                      Not to be confused with the Omnipressor reverse-compressor mode.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                        I understand the importance of compression in a mix, but what benefit does compression serve when there is no other audio competing for the sonic space? Such as in a bedroom setting or a singer/songwriter acoustic guitar situation?
                        Best description I read was that a good compressor pedal is like an overdrive for your clean tones. I often keep mine on when playing at home because it changes the sound and response of the amp. It's not necessarily something you want all the time, but it is the right tool for the right job, so to speak.
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

A friend of mine uses nails only to pick the string, it has a very light approach, he uses the compressor intensively, without it he tends to sound a bit lifelss.
                          I am a string digger with the pick, a tortex 1.0, in my case the compressor is almost useless, so, it all depends on the the singular case

Comment

I am getting compression from so many facets of my signal chain from my pickups, boost pedals, and amp I have never found the need to add more compression through a dedicated compression pedal.

Comment

First of all, most comps can do a gain/level boost for popping the solo out
                              Next, they can add sustain. I'd say this is mostly useful for a Strat/Single coils, but could be others.
                              And as mentioned, hides poor technique (<= my favorite reason!)

So think about it - solo time and pop the Comp on:

1. Volume goes up a touch to pop out of the mix
                              2. Your less-than-definitive pull offs get boosted up to even volume with the rest
                              3. That epic bend hold as long as you need no matter how string aligns with a pole

All good!
                              Last edited by Aceman; 12-20-2023, 07:19 AM.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X