Boss 50th Anniversary Pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss 50th Anniversary Pedals?

I'm thinking about getting one of the Boss 50th Anniversary DS-1, BD-2, or SD-1. I've never actually played any of these pedals as I'm not really a big effects guy, but now that I play direct to the sound board I kind of need one. The speaker amp simulator I have is a JDX Direct Drive, so it can do a Twin, a JCM, and some 3rd thing I haven't quite figured out. Good clean sounds.

Biggest weakness is it doesn't have any knobs or gain. I've heard sound clips, but as far as actually using them, how would you describe their character? I've got a Tele that probably sounds exactly like the one you are picturing on your head right now and a Tele with a pair of Alnico 2 mini hums, with the bridge pickup overwound. I switch between them pretty often. I play soft rock with probably a little more gain than I should all the way up to ZZ Top, AC/DC, and Van Halen "hardness" of rock with a good bit less gain than most people would.

How would each of these pedals suit me? I've heard enough of the sound clips to know I'd like one of them, but they look so cool and I think I should only really be responsibly affording one of them. What does each one do best and what are their weaknesses?

I would say to track down some used regular versions to see what each of them do. I wouldn't spend the extra $ on the Anniversary models unless they added significant features.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I would say to track down some used regular versions to see what each of them do. I wouldn't spend the extra $ on the Anniversary models unless they added significant features.
      Yep, what he said.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I'd buy them only for investment, betting on the fact sometime in the future the price will rise up on the collector's market.

If you are looking for the sound only get the normal edition, the used market is full at competitive prices, you can resell at 0 cost if you don't like them

Comment

Yep, used. None of those are expensive pedals, unless packaged to be.

Comment

Yeah, I think new they are $100 or something but you can probably find the DS-1 definitely for $35-$40 and the other two for a bit more.

One thing I'll say about them, and the reason a lot of people can't make them work, in general all three of them sound their best at lower gain settings, so they don't really work all that great into a clean amp/PA if you are trying to get all your gain from one pedal. A SD-1 into a BD-2 with both set to low gain will generally sound better than either of them alone set to a higher gain setting.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

DS-1 is mid scooped for use in a middy amp that's flat out to give a bit more gain (but not really extra volume), the SD-1 is very similar to a tube screamer and designed to push the mids of a scooped amp. The BD-2 is a more complex circuit - at very low gain it's a clean boost, at mid gain it's a slightly trebly overdrive, and at high gain it cuts bass/boosts treble, then runs your signal through a fender tone stack with bass and mids at 10 and treble at zero - gets close to fuzz sounds. The BD-2 isn't exactly flat, but it's not mid humpy or mid scooped.
              Last edited by GuitarStv; 01-15-2024, 09:17 AM.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                DS-1 is mid scooped for use in a middy amp that's flat out to give a bit more gain (but not really extra volume), the SD-1 is very similar to a tube screamer and designed to push the mids of a scooped amp. The BD-2 is a more complex circuit - at very low gain it's a clean boost, at mid gain it's a slightly trebly overdrive, and at high gain it cuts bass/boosts treble, then runs your signal through a fender tone stack with bass and mids at 10 and treble at zero - gets close to fuzz sounds. The BD-2 isn't exactly flat, but it's not mid humpy or mid scooped.
                Thanks for this description, as I honestly never spent that much time with Boss OD, although I always liked the BD-2 the best.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Thanks for this description, as I honestly never spent that much time with Boss OD, although I always liked the BD-2 the best.
                  if you like the BD-2 it's worth trying the OD-3, it's its cousin with fuller mids (and a bit too much of bass depending on taste, mine for example, in fact I modified it slightly), it's a great and musical pedal , a bit underrated, less harsh than the BD-2

Comment

I think you can combine all above aspects in one boss pedal, the JB2. Its a BD-2 and a Angry Charly in one pedal. Its collectible, it has Marshall and Fender overdriven sounds and it does ZZ Top and Ac/DC.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

For the price of one of the new pedals, you can get them all three used in original format.

And, I do not know your background or experience, but somewhere along the way you should, or should have, pick ed up that knowledge.

Those are three Iconic, and distinctly different pedals. Get them, check them out, sell the two you don't want, or keep them all. Whatever.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Another thing...

The SD-1 is Asymmetrical clipping. It generates both even and odd harmonics, which translates to a little richer sound, maybe a little more sparkly, a little thicker.

vs say a TS9, which is Symmetrical clipping, which means only Even harmonics, which means a little more clarity, more punch, maybe a touch thinner.

Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Symmetrical clipping generates only odd harmonics. Amp tubes generate more even harmonics, but still create both. A Harmonic Percolator makes very close to purely even order harmonics.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            Symmetrical clipping generates only odd harmonics.
                            just to be picky, this happens in pure theory only, if you observe the waveform at the oscilloscope, well, not that true since the cut by the diodes is not 'ideal', there is a curve, we can only say there is a majority of odd harmonics. The asymmetrical clipping adds even harmonics for sure, indeed.

Comment

this 50th batch is probably like the 40th anniv batch, yeah? cool badge and look but still all the same guts as current production. only worth it if you fancy yourself a collector or just really like the anniversary looks

Comment

Working...
                              X