banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General brain-trust question: Does anyone make a "morph" pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General brain-trust question: Does anyone make a "morph" pedal?

Something I've been Jonesin' for for years is... something I don't know whether it even exists: A pedal that would allow you to morph between two entirely different guitar voicings - like as gradually as your foot is able to, rather than a hard, instantaneous A-B-Y switch.

The point-source for this lunatic idea is a moment early in Mr. Fripp's "Space Groove II" from the ProjeKct Two "Space Groove" disc. He's jamming along in a normal, thick guitar voicing, and then he holds a long note and it just changes - into a full-blown Frippertronics voicing. Here's the clip, and the morph I'm talking about happens between 1:55 and 2:05 in this particular YT posting:

★Introducing only the very best art rock progressive rock song★01.Space Groove II02.Lost In Space : Vector Patrol

I'm thinking this was likely done in the studio, but it got me thinking: What if I could take a pedal - like maybe a standard pan pedal? - and use it to just glide between two different voicings (i.e., effects loops,) seamlessly. Would a pan pedal work for this? Has anyone ever heard of a pedal that allows this?

If nonesuch exists I'm offering this as a Dear Santa to the S-D R&D team as a possible new product. I can't be the only one weird enough to want something like this... ?

Cheers,
    ZBG​​​​
    Last edited by Zaphod B. Goode; 01-13-2024, 03:32 PM. Reason: Tweakage for clarity.

My GNX3000 pedal will do exactly that

its a multieffects pedal with a rocker pedal

You can assign the pedal to "morph:" between say:

A Fender and a cranked Marshall amp
    Or a gained out Carvin and an acoustic simulation

Look at Digitech pedals

I dont know if there is a standalone rocker pedal that will

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Sounds like it's just going into harmonic feedback like an amp that's overdriven hard. My Digitech Frequout pedal can do stuff like this..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Also a Rocktron Black Cat Moan wah pedal (w/ the "moan" on) can do something similar...
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

As a big Fripp fan, I think what he is doing here is pretty easy to replicate with the right gear. I think he was using a Roland GP-100 for his soloing sounds back then. His solo is using the Sustainer pickup on his Fernandes, and when it changes, he simply flips a switch on his guitar to go into 'harmonic mode' which is an octave higher. He might also trigger some other filter on the GP-100 at the same time.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

H90 can do it
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod B. Goode View Post
              Something I've been Jonesin' for for years is... something I don't know whether it even exists: A pedal that would allow you to morph between two entirely different guitar voicings - like as gradually as your foot is able to, rather than a hard, instantaneous A-B-Y switch.

The point-source for this lunatic idea is a moment early in Mr. Fripp's "Space Groove II" from the ProjeKct Two "Space Groove" disc. He's jamming along in a normal, thick guitar voicing, and then he holds a long note and it just changes - into a full-blown Frippertronics voicing. Here's the clip, and the morph I'm talking about happens between 1:55 and 2:05 in this particular YT posting:

★Introducing only the very best art rock progressive rock song★01.Space Groove II02.Lost In Space : Vector Patrol

I'm thinking this was likely done in the studio, but it got me thinking: What if I could take a pedal - like maybe a standard pan pedal? - and use it to just glide between two different voicings (i.e., effects loops,) seamlessly. Would a pan pedal work for this? Has anyone ever heard of a pedal that allows this?

If nonesuch exists I'm offering this as a Dear Santa to the S-D R&D team as a possible new product. I can't be the only one weird enough to want something like this... ?

Cheers,
              ZBG​​​​
              I have a older Digitech 2112 SGS rack unit, let's say that I am playing Ozzy's " Can't Kill Rock n Roll", that has both acoustic guitar sims (w/a Behringer AM100 Acoustic Modeler) and a distorted guitar .

My 2112 has a seamless program that morphed distortion guitar sound fading into a new program / patch that is programmable from a few milliseconds to three seconds , fading while the acoustic passage is being played in real time, just like a studio edit.

That 2112 SGS Seamless feature and the two 12ax7 tubes are the reason I sold off my Eleven Rack unit .

Comment

If you're comfortable around a soldering iron, RunOffGroove's "Splitter-Blender" does that. And for fairly cheap. You just gotta build it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                  Sounds like it's just going into harmonic feedback like an amp that's overdriven hard. My Digitech Frequout pedal can do stuff like this..

Love those "tension" notes !!!!

Comment

i have a couple digitech x series pedals that have morph knobs, but maybe not exactly what you're describing. they're hella underrated, nonetheless

Comment

Working...
                    X