Boss IR-2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
    So it's like the amps in my Katana but crammed into the boss compact format, that I could pair with a Powerstage or use as an audio interface? uh, yeah, I'm into that
    Yeah, that is the idea. Lots of pedal-based IR loaders (or IR preset) pedals out there now that could benefit from a PowerStage and a cabinet.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The idea of being ampless always fascinated me, but by now , without air pushing me , is still a weird feeling .
      Something in my old fashioned mind continues to whisper to me "...Marcello... feel the Fakeness" I have to get over

Comment

My thing with all the digital sims and all that is, a lot of bands are recording with them....and a lot of bands have exactly the same sound.

Comment

Just to put a little perspective on this "Amazing" new thing.

In 2005-ish, I got a Roland Cube 30. I still play the crap out of it today.

JC120 sound was really great
          Nice Blackface Twin clean
          The Tweed...just not my zone. Can't say
          I dig the Vox AC30 for Pop-rock
          Classic stack is meh
          The 5150 sound, however, is awesome for a range of metal
          And the recto setting, doesn't have a real Mesa character, IMO, but it can bring TuH BruuTahlZ

So other than better IR's for the cabs...this is not really new. Good sounds are good sounds.

You can do a lot with Bass/Mid/Treble and a Gain knob on a base sound...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by 8eezrule View Post
            My thing with all the digital sims and all that is, a lot of bands are recording with them....and a lot of bands have exactly the same sound.
            I thought the same in the 80s with the JCM800.

Comment

To add to Aceman's statement of this being around a while, let's go back even further. Hysteria was recording using Rockman's direct to the board.

I'm using an ampless setup every Saturday and Sunday morning for worship group rehearsal/service. I'm ampless at home when I practice using Amplitube on my Mac with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. My amp gets used at my cover band's live shows and that's it, or when I'm doing a gear check a day or so before a show. I use an amp that's already in our rehearsal space when we are rehearsing.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Comment

Originally posted by 8eezrule View Post
                I mean... that's the fault of the producer or engineer, not inherent to software

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                or turn of the century nu metal with PRSes and triple Recs

Comment

Yeah, in the 80's everyone started sounding the same when they started having those refridgerator sized racks built with all the digital preamps delays, etc. I guess it's a viscious cycle... and as stated, the producers and engineers wanted everyone to sound like(insert famous 80s band name).

Comment

Sounds like this may be the ticket for me then. Don't really need one now, I don't know enough people in my new area yet to form a band, but I will need one eventually.
                    "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

And I wouldn't mind never having to listen to another Tube Screamer > 5150/Recto > v30 again. Does it work? Evidently. Is it interesting? Hell no.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post

And I wouldn't mind never having to listen to another Tube Screamer > 5150/Recto > v30 again. Does it work? Evidently. Is it interesting? Hell no.
                        That's the problem with 10s of thousands of guitarists chasing the same tone instead of finding their own.

Comment

That's the problem with 10s of thousands of guitarists chasing the same tone instead of finding their own.
                          You could say the same thing about people buying a Boss pedal with a handful of amp and cab models and going direct instead of exploring the infinity of little differences that come from actually miking a cab in a room.

Take it to the limit
                          Everybody to the limit
                          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I think we as guitarists generally overemphasize the "sound" part of "finding your own sound". Very little of a guitar players sound comes from their gear, but rather how they play it. Kurt Cobain was wonderful at this. You could put that man on anything and it would still sound like him.

Trying to find circuits that make a sound you like is one thing, but you can't buy a stairway to heaven.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

You could say the same thing about people buying a Boss pedal with a handful of amp and cab models and going direct instead of exploring the infinity of little differences that come from actually miking a cab in a room.
                              Absolutely. It really is a problem. That's why so few bands are unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                                I think we as guitarists generally overemphasize the "sound" part of "finding your own sound". Very little of a guitar players sound comes from their gear, but rather how they play it. Kurt Cobain was wonderful at this. You could put that man on anything and it would still sound like him.

Trying to find circuits that make a sound you like is one thing, but you can't buy a stairway to heaven.
                                That's why I'm perpetually perplexed by Ola Englunds ability to make any piece of gear sound like the aforementioned TS into Peavey 5150. At this point, I'm fairly certain you could hand the man 1960's Rickenbacker 12-string and the broken $30 early 90's solid state combo i keep in the back of my closet and it would still sound like a TS into a 5150.
                                --------------------------------------------------------
                                1973 Aria 551
                                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                                X