Things to look for when trying out compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to look for when trying out compressors

I'm looking to acquire a compressor. On paper, the JHS Pulp n Peel and the Wampler mini ego look pretty good based upon the reviews of others, but I would much prefer to be able to judge each one in person with my own ears and fingers.

What should I be looking for when testing a compressor and what's the most effective way to dial in tones for testing purposes. On paper at least I would want something fairly subtle when it's on, but easy to notice when it's missing if that makes sense

The Orange Kongpressor is also well on my radar

Comment

The Keeley Compressor Plus. Blend control. Best compressor I’ve ever used. My playing dynamics are still there. Try one.

Comment

I love compressors with a blend knob, especially if you like a little compression on all the time.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like to have a blend knob. You can turn it all the way off (full compression) if you want heavy effecty squash, but most of the time I want just subtle compression and the blend knob really helps to nail it.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Well, the first thing I look for is a reason why I think I need a compressor. So what's yours?

FYI - this will make a BIG difference in what you look at. What instrument is it for? What style of music? What pickups? What style of playing?

Or we can just throw out features and random boxes.
            Last edited by Aceman; 02-01-2024, 11:23 AM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Well, the first thing I look for is a reason why I think I need a compressor. So what's yours?

FYI - this will make a BIG difference in what you look at. What instrument is it for? What style of music? What pickups? What style of playing?

Or we can just throw out features and random boxes.
              Guitar, bass, and keys are my instruments, in that order. I mostly do bluegrass type country, funk, reggae, and softer rock. I drive a Santa Cruz pickup made last year and a GMC Sierra from 2001, and my playing can best be described as sloppy, but consistent.

Comment

I always look for compressors where I can control the threshold, attack, ratio and make-up gain. Then I can use it for anything. If I can at least get 3 out of 4 of those, I can still make it work.

Like so:

Comment

threshold and attack as separate knobs
                  blend or level is cool

my current one has a tone knob as well
                  which is as interesting as it is uncommon
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Sustain, Blend, Level, Tone. The switch between single-coil and humbucker is nice. I leave it on Humbucker since that's what I have in majority of my guitars. Unity is about 1 o'clock on the level knob. I've tried plenty of compressors and Keeley's are the only ones I get a long with. I also have an old 3-knob from him. Also a great compressor. Has level, attack and sustain. No blend control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keeley-Compressor-Plus-Keeley-Electronics.png
Views:	107
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	6269122

Comment

See now...when you say Bluegrass, Country, and Funk/Reggae...I'd say just get this. You want even sound with maybe a little pluck/cluck in what you are playing. Been done with one of these for decades on many many albums:

Name:	IMG_0888-scaled.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	6269128

My current go-to for "Everything" compression is this. Now the Blend and tone and attack/sustain will let you dial in a lot more and go for more transparency etc. But that isn't really what your music is about. I have come to appreciate the blend knob, but if I have attack/sustain/tone, I don't need it.

Name:	Wampler-Ego-Full-PI_1333x.jpg?v=1650756250.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	6269129
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A friend at work let me borrow have a junky ibanez cpl that has the controls attack, threshold, and level. How do I get it setup knob-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                          A friend at work let me borrow have a junky ibanez cpl that has the controls attack, threshold, and level. How do I get it setup knob-wise?
                          I don't have that particular pedal, but theoretically it should work like this:
                          Attack - less attack will let more of the initial spike or pluck of the string come through, more attack will squish right away and take away dyanamics
                          Threshold - is the level at which the compressor starts working. Low threshold will squish everything you do, high threshold will only soften the peaks that are sticking out and make it even.
                          Level - is to make up the volume level when the compressor is working. What you do is play with the compressor on and off and adjust the level so the output is the same whether the pedal is on or off.

Comment

is there a difference between level and blend
                            I assumed they were the same function
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I don't have that particular pedal, but theoretically it should work like this:
                              Attack - less attack will let more of the initial spike or pluck of the string come through, more attack will squish right away and take away dyanamics
                              Threshold - is the level at which the compressor starts working. Low threshold will squish everything you do, high threshold will only soften the peaks that are sticking out and make it even.
                              Level - is to make up the volume level when the compressor is working. What you do is play with the compressor on and off and adjust the level so the output is the same whether the pedal is on or off.
                              I found a manual that seems to agree with this, albeit for the CP9 instead of the CPL. It looks like turning Attack to the right and Threshold to the left is minimum compression. and Attack to the left and Threshold to the right is maximum squash.

I can't tell too much of a difference with the attack on either side, regardless of threshold level.

How do I dial it in? It seems like all the advice I can find says that if you can tell it's working you've set it to squashy. Well then how would I tell if it's set too subtle?

Name:	Screenshot_20240201_210538_Word.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	6269157

Comment

Working...
                              X