Ampero 2 Stomp - Scary Good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampero 2 Stomp - Scary Good!

Umm.....Fractal, QC, and Kemper should be very worried right about now (no exaggeration). I buy and sell a ton of gear, ton of modelers, have high end tube amps, and love evaluating them all, shooting them out, recording them in comparisons, etc. I have a Kemper Stage, Fractal FM3, HR Prime, and have had all the budget modelers, POD GO, Valeton, Flamma, etc, and just received my new 10th anniversary Ampero Stomp in red....and wow, I'm floored! This is really is an A-Tier modeler. The tones, the construction, the menus, the screen, all scream A-Tier in every way. Got this new for $350 on Reverb after a little negotiation, but I think these list at $499. First, this is no economy modeler in any way. POD GO, not even close! Honestly, a toy in comparison. Hold this Stomp in your hands, hear the glorious tones, be floored by a beautiful, professional interface and you'll get why I say this. Recently John Cordy, an amazing player did shootouts of this against a Quad Cortex and Axe III and floored us all just how well it competed to units 3-5 times the price, which I can confirm owning a Kemper Stage and FM3, it sure does. The tones in this, and even the presets, are A-Tier all the way. I've included a basic pedal in the photo to show size, this is a pretty sizeable, super robust build right here, all hardware screams A-Tier. I'm a cranky old guy who rarely raves about anything, but this is truly an A-Tier modeler/effects unit at economy prices, a rare occurrence. The POD GO I had isn't even in the same stratosphere as this, the overdrive tones distasteful enough for me I off'ed it quick, as did I the Valeton, and many others. This is scary good this Ampero Stomp II. I resell most of the gear I buy, but this stays, and honestly, its pretty comparable to my FM3, it really is. Rating my current modelers on tone: Kemper Stage: 100 (but a terrible interface), Fractal FM3: 96, Ampero 2 Stomp: 95/96, Headrush Prime: 92, Flamma FX100 (a cool little backup unit): 87, Digitech RP360XP: 82. Spend some time with an Ampero Stomp II and you will be floored. This is generally an A-Tier modeler, and for veritable pennies. Granted not many foot switches or expression pedal but Hotone has supplemental HW very reasonable, or just get the new Ampero Stage, same as this but bigger. Trust me, you won't be disappointed, and will be floored at just how top-tier these units are. Wow. I am impressed!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris6542; 02-16-2024, 01:47 PM.

Clips sounded great to me, and I thought I'd love it. Bought 2 from amazon (the second to get a lower price and to also evaluate the issue), both noisy as heck (even with the noise gate) and immediately returned them. Tried them in 2 different houses, headphones and cabs. Some people were saying it's the power supply, but I didn't want to have to troubleshoot a brand new device (I shouldn't have to).

I'd get a stage if they've fixed the noise problem. The footswitch options on that one look crazy good.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      Clips sounded great to me, and I thought I'd love it. Bought 2 from amazon (the second to get a lower price and to also evaluate the issue), both noisy as heck (even with the noise gate) and immediately returned them. Tried them in 2 different houses, headphones and cabs. Some people were saying it's the power supply, but I didn't want to have to troubleshoot a brand new device (I shouldn't have to).

I'd get a stage if they've fixed the noise problem. The footswitch options on that one look crazy good.
      i had this issue with the early Zoom pedals back in the 90s
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
      X