Need overdrive pedal for rythm rock tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need overdrive pedal for rythm rock tones

I use my amp in the crunch channel with just a bit of breakup, kind of a marshall clean to add a bit of sauce for some Hendix/Frusciante rhythm chords thing. Now I want a pedal to reach a marshall 70s hard rock sound to 80s classic metal without having a big jump in volume, kind of high gain but still can give me some dynamics and string definition. The thick and sustain for leads I can get by stacking my MXR M77. I will use this with a couple of Strats, one with STK-S6 in the bridge, another one with 59 bridge.

* I don't want an overdrive with a bump in the mids, I already have one but I use it mostly for leads.
    * Not a clean boost, no treble boost. All that sounds nice but really need to fine tune the volume when padal is engaged.
    * Extra points if it has versatile eq controls, like 3 band eq or a low freq cut at the input.
    * I think I am be asking for an overdrive pedal that has a kind of falt eq character. A transparent overdrive? O_oĦ

Who took my guitar?

I say you look at a balanced overdrive like the Forza. It has great EQ, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Transparent od, versatile 3 band eq, look at the fullsize Tumnus. I have the mini and love it into my Marshall
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

You can grab a Decibel 11 Dirt Clod for $99 brand new.

Decibel Eleven Dirt Clod™ Overdrive Distortion Pedal The Decibel Eleven Dirt Clod guitar effects pedal is a fully analog overdrive distortion pedal featuring 10 memory presets. Whatever music you play, the Dirt Clod provides a wide range of distortion sounds with two styles of clipping in addition to variable mid and high controls. You may …

Comment

A BD-2 can do what you're asking for, but you would want to try it out with your rig. It's not the most versatile as far as EQ and doesn't play well with certain guitar/amp combos.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The jhs angry charlie is also worth a look. It has a 3-band eq and does light gain up to 80's very well.

Comment

Originally posted by CK71 View Post
              The jhs angry charlie is also worth a look. It has a 3-band eq and does light gain up to 80's very well.
              Or go for that + a BD-2 in one pedal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	61UbVmKoj8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	6272532

:P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Don't write off the bonnie SD-1 without trying it out. I'd argue that this is precisely the kind of thing it was made for.

Comment

i like the sd1 but there is some mid push there

Comment

If the Blues Driver doesn't do the trick, a similar circuit OD from Boss that probably would is the OD-3. I love that for rhythm tones. And it works great in front of a Marshall-like clean tone with some hair on it. Keep the drive low.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 03-01-2024, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                      Don't write off the bonnie SD-1 without trying it out. I'd argue that this is precisely the kind of thing it was made for.
                      I always understood the SD-1 was meant to be used by cranking the volume knob, am I wrong? As I said, too much of a volume jump between rythm and clean is something I want to avoid.
                      Who took my guitar?

Comment

A large number of options here, but as soon as you said 70s metal with a Marshall ? then MXR Distortion+

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                          A large number of options here, but as soon as you said 70s metal with a Marshall ? then MXR Distortion+
                          The Dirt Clod does a spot on D+ and more

Comment

Angry Driver with the BD2 section on 70's dirty and the Angry Driver boosted by the BD2 for 80's.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Horse Zip Amp.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	AP1GczNt-VpZL1MdQ_d5k6s1-4lWIx_pLJVpiFPjjsGyOnmcYTjLQyIdpzs9JoiomWMaZBzbRa66NQqOCdt1aELKQ2DbglL7sI0SDdmBCijRIsSFhlsbzQcyLzdiGqBgWR_hJxeZZP0UrKI9FReEuhC6904Lzj9W3OUJ8iOrn_odp_xrlLlLWEAAotmtvOe1NcK9lg5SDy3vrfz-lJUNuof_tyX83qJ9mZR-oDQDpxxRPgPME7L0p8FQyQxdFl2
Views:	118
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	6272630
                              It's that orange pedal on the left.
                              Bass, Treble, Volume and Gain. Set it how you need it. Low gain hi volume is a clean boost. Dial up the dirt with the gain, Bass and Treble controls are active. Leave them in the middle for true clean boost. And it can get loud.
                              Here it's being used to tweak the dirt channel of the Randall.
                              For leads.

Comment

Working...
                              X