Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss BD2 alternatives

Hello,

I've been using the Boss BD2 for crunch, light overdrive tones and despite liking the tone I get, it really bothers me that the BD2 is not touch sensitive at all. No matter how lightly or heavily I pick, I seem to get exactly the same output coming out of the amp. I tried the Fulltone OCD with the gain turned all the way down and I came closer to my goal but I've been wondering if there's anything out there that'll get me a nice, creamy, crunchy tone. Some ideas that crossed my mind: DOD Preamp 250 or maybe the J Rockett Blue Note. Any thoughts???

BD2 and OCD are actually very dynamic, so it sounds a bit odd, being hard clipping (a tube screamer-like topology, which is soft clipping, for example is way more compressed).
    I'd say you should try a topology where FETs emulate tubes, for example the Wampler Plexi Drive, Catalinbread Formula 55 or Dirty little secret, a Menatone Foxy Brown, a Zvex box of rock, the options are multiple

Comment

I think you are looking for dynamics not touch sensitivity, two totally different things. A DOD Preamp 250 is not really that dynamic. It is the same circuit as the MXR Dist+, which is a blunt force distortion box, very much a one-trick pony. If you want dynamic, I would look at a Klon-clone there are a lot of them out there that are great and inexpensive. Take a look at the Moskey Golden Horse; you can get it for $14 shipped, I am not sure why every guitarist doesn't have one in their stable. Ironiclly the 250 or MXR D+ would be awesome for touch sensitivity, dynamics are there but not their strong suit.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805888060992.html?src=google&src=google&albch= shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&al bagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false &albcp=19235666539&albag=&trgt=&crea=en32568058 880 60992&netw=x&device=c&albpg=&albpd=en3256805888060 992&gad_source=1&aff_fcid=7129e49d4f02460c9d27283d c110cd10-1710700481404-04087-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneM JZVf&aff_trace_key=7129e49d4f02460c9d27283dc110cd1 0-1710700481404-04087-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=1830c2457eac4dd29a1eaf0b30d30 a7e&afSmartRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Comment

Weird. The BD-2 should be pretty easy to set up for dynamic playing - it's not a terribly compressed circuit. Rolling the volume knob on your guitar back or picking lighter should really clean up the sound as long as you've got the gain below 2/3rds of the way up.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Take a look at the Moskey Golden Horse; you can get it for $14 shipped . . .
          That's a heckuva price even if you just bought it for the case and parts alone.

Comment

I would say from your description the pedals aren't the problem. What''s the rest of your rig like?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Have a BD 2 as well as several other overdrives. Like the Blues Driver, but there are 2 I will suggest trying for what you are looking for. First is the Nobels ODR 1 or my personal Preference on these circuits the Wampler Belle. I own both a Bell and the latest full size ODR 1 both are very nice. However, the Bell offers much more versatility with the added bass control and also the clipping switch. These are the most dynamic and transparent overdrives I have ever worked with.
              The other is a Wampler Tuminus which is a Klon Clone. With the right amp these can be very nice and very dynamic.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I wonder if the OP will ever return
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                X