NWPD..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWPD..

New Wah Pedal....a Dime Crybaby from hell..

nothing much to say..they've been around for a while..

I wanted something that did'nt suck tone (sound thin/tinny) & that could sound thick and meaty for solo's & that had adjustable parameters and this one fit the bill..it's versatile as hell..

Controls all @ about noon, boost engaged (cuz it's fantastic) ....sweep dialed back slightly more cuz I was looking for some subtle vowelly expressiveness ..rather than Hammet-style wahhing & wailing (which it does really well too, when needed) . Anyway, this pedal more than meets my expectations & i could'nt be happier w/ it.. TONE for days

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Is it pressure sensitive and does the boost only engage when the wah is on?

Comment

It's got a footswitch at the toe to activate..so I guess no?

The boost engages w/e you want it to. I think it's a buffered pedal, not true bypass.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I am guessing the boost is that red bottom at the bottom and the black knob is the boost level?

Comment

Yes

Comment

The boost kicks on when the wah is engaged.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              I am guessing the boost is that red bottom at the bottom and the black knob is the boost level?
              Yes & no.

The boost IS the Red button but that other knob controls the "Frequency Center". It has about 6-7 set notches w/ different frequency settings. I used notch #3 for the video up there. As you turn it up the top end gets sharper & it's treblier/raspier on the whole..

There are three mini knobs the other side. The first one's for the boost level, second conrols "Q" settings (bandpass) and the last one's for fine tuning the "toe-down" position....

It's actually very instinctive/easy to set up/get great tones from using one's ears..

Youtube

Comment

With the Frequency knob two notches higher..

Youtube

Comment

I bought one of those for $70 on account of the pot not working and the rotary switch having a crazy pop to it. Let me tell you, there's a reason it's called the CB From Hell. That is the most time and effort I have ever spent to replace a pot and spray a switch. The only pot that fits it is the one designed for it, and they cost $40
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Lets hope it does'nt crap out on me then lol..or it's back to ye olde Behringer Hellbabe which, while usable is a bit on the thin/aneamic side tone-wise

With the knobs on the left turned up about 75% of the way to the top = more wailing.

Youtube

Comment

Well this is the kind of stuff I wanted it for (neolassical, shred, epic sounding ballads & stuff etc) .....& eh, it could'nt be more perfect for it

Frequency knob back down two notches (like it best @ this setting..smooth, sweet & dark like molasses)..otherwise the same settings as the video above...(but lead 2 on the AMT Stonehead which is thinner/brighter/glassier/sharper than Lead 1 ^^ up there)

Youtube

Comment

That's one that I didn't jive with when I tried it. Had an old early 90's GCB-95 for years that I modded to hell and back to the point it got a new PCB....LOL. Sold that around 2017 and a year later got the JC-95 Cantrell Crybaby. That one is great. I love the sweep and change the knob gives to sound. It's somewhat of a Q adjustment. I just got a used GCB-95F Crybaby Classic w/ Fasel inductor delivered this week. That one is voiced great for blues and blues rock. The Cantrell is great for heavier rock.

Comment

At some stage I'd probably like an original Crybaby for the throatier more "classic/bluesy" tones. This one does what I got it for which is neoclassical/melodic-ballad type/ metal shred tones galore that are deep, smooth, thick & rich sounding and still very articulate & transparent/true to the source w/o an overly wide sweep for stuff like funk rhythm or Hammet solo's..which I have no use for..

I have'nt tried the Cantrell, but it always sounds great in clips/demo's, having said that I think I got pretty much exactly what I was looking/hoping for tone-wise for my solo's with this Dime Wah.. it delivers in all, the ways I want it to deliver

Here's another w/ my little Laney Dualtop SS head/Eminence 2x12..

Youtube

Comment

And here it is with the Treble bumped up a bit on the amp (everything else untouched) for a bit more grit/texture/bite (which comes through very nicely). A lot of times wahs can be pretty overwelming to the source but tis one is really transparent and just adds wah to whatever tone you have dialed in on the amp w/o messing anything else up..

Youtube

Comment

And just the amp w/ the same settings (No wah):

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-29-2024, 07:51 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X